Featured 'Escape Condition' - A Time travelling philosophy game

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Steve Br, May 21, 2020.

1. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

My first indie game is in the works - it's a time travelling philosophy game as the title suggests, where the player attempts to wipe out a virus of sin destroying humanity. To do so, they'll use time traveling devices to enter both the past and future, finding roots and outbreaks of the virus as it ruins humanity and the environment.

Evidence of viral contamination: Acidic Flooding

Here's an example of the time traveling code at work, the same map in two variations of the future:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

Added more environmental feedback for when the world's Divinity level changes.

3. mathieu

mathieu New Member

Looks so good.
    Can you tell us more about the storytelling?

Steve Br likes this.
  4. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

Sure, since sin is a virus that you're tracking down, you need to go to the future to kill its eventual outbreaks, or the past to kill its roots. The problem is that divinity is the only way to travel to the past, and science is the only way to travel to the future. Depending on which you chose each "day" (a science mission or a divine mission), your rewards will differ - including gear pieces, amulets and XP boosts that help you in more difficult missions.

The core of the game is a philosophical discussion of what balance between divinity and science people will need to tackle an uncertain future.

#4 Steve Br, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
  5. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

WIP Post (I'll update all images here and put together in a time lapse at the end)
    -Painting DePig - the primary vendor whose shop will magically appear throughout the game

Since the menus will feature art and not 3d animation, I have to leave a lot of negative space for buttons. To avoid wasting time, I first mocked up the menu need based on data (how many items per column etc.) then started painting in the area that was left in Clip Studio.

One advantage to solo development is you don't need to get anything to a pre-determined state of being finished b/c the information doesn't need to be translated for another person on the team. So for now this will be done enough, picked up whenever I feel like taking a break from programming:

[​IMG]

#5 Steve Br, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
  6. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

Working on adding NPCs the last week, allowing me to get into some fun combat programming.

The main goal in my gameplay setup for NPCs is to differentiate between combat in the past, present and future since the player can travel to all 3 freely.

In the evil future (cyberpunk) shown here, robots and drones patrol the streets while gangs dominate the alleyways. So a sort of stealth mini-game is created as players try to avoid both (or load up when your mission starts and bring heavy weaponry with you, which presents a different kind of difficulty).

For this and many other gameplay elements I want to use big bold shapes as I feel too many high fidelity games make it difficult to see what the objectives are.

[​IMG]

#6 Steve Br, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
  7. Steve Br

Steve Br New Member

Working on melee NPCs that will be scattered throughout the streets. In this clip they're being shot with SMART ammo which is one of the 3 ammo classes in the game alongside DIVINE and CORRUPTED.