eReaders - what to buy?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by ggambett, May 30, 2010.

1. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Does any of you own an eReader, or whatever the Kindle and Nook are called? What do you recommend?

I don't need any fancy features - no WiFi, no 3G, just an e-ink screen where I can plug a flash drive or memory card and read my PDFs. That's it.

The Kobo Reader looks good from a price/features POV but I never seen one, just the reviews, so I actually have no idea.

Any suggestions?

2. jpoag

jpoag New Member

Well, from someone who owns a Nook, I'd say Kobo would do what you want. You won't miss the color touch screen on the Nook. Wifi/3G is great for downloading book samples. 3G may not be viable where you live, but Wifi is better anyways. However, Kobo has a associated eBook retail portal that has book previews. I read a couple online last night while researching the Kobo.

Color touch screen and wireless aside, the kobo looks exactly like the nook (same size, same formats). Actually, the Kobos controls might be better....

Also, look into Calibre software for eReaders. It's great for reformatting old papers and eBooks for these new devices.

3. hippocoder

Indie Author

Hijacking this, whats the best e-book thing for the iphone? I find myself quite happy to read the iphone on public transport...

4. Moose2000

Moose2000 New Member

I like Stanza.

5. nbkolchin

nbkolchin New Member

For 6" devices your PDFs must be A6 and bw. I.e. reading A4 PDF on 6" device is really uncomfortable.

You can look at SONY PRS-900 or iRex products. From my opinion, currently they are just money waste.

Avoid touchscreen devices. You can buy a mirror at much lower price.

Kindle is OK if you are going to buy stuff from Amazon.

6. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

I bought a "Cooler" some time ago. At first I thought it was good, then I noticed it was easy to crash, and didn't do very good dithering. Then I noticed it cheated its way to 8 color greyscale, and is actually only 4. Bah!

Funny enough, I've been using my iPad for all my reading lately. I realize the point of getting a reader is the eyestrain thing and battery life, but with the iPad you don't have to deal with clumsy+slow user interfaces. Browse HTML pages/documentation or read PDF's on it. Elegant and easy, 10 hours'ish of battery. Especially nice for reading Apple's online docs. :)

7. Bad Sector

Original Member

I want a BeBook Neo. It supports *a lot* of formats. Nook also looks nice and its programmable, but i'm not sure about the extra color screen. Also Nook seems to consume battery even while you're reading while Neo does it only when the screen's contents change.

On the other hand Neo is a bit more pricey than Nook.

8. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

There's one coming with the OS4 update (whenever that is).

I don't know if that makes an iPad temping, but a pad of some description... yes.

9. jpoag

jpoag New Member

Formats aren't really a problem when you use Calibre (free). It has settings for just about any eReader available.

The Nook crashes too. Most eReaders are slow. eInk is still a young technology.

10. amaranth

Original Member

I traded my Sony for a Kindle and never looked back. Kindle does have internet access on it, but it isn't annoying. You can quickly pick out the books you want to purchase on Amazon through the Kindle and they are instantly streamed to the device. No wires, no local internet access points needed.

11. rioka

rioka New Member

My sister has the latest Kindle model and it's pretty damn cool. It's like Amanda says plus the screen doesn't have glare. It's like looking at a matte photo which is great if you're reading outside. I wish the DS' screen was like that too...

12. vjvj

Indie Author

Here's my dilemma: From a feature standpoint, I'd like to get the Nook. However, when it comes to technical books, B&N's selection seems to completely suck in comparison to the Kindle Store's offerings.

What do you all suggest I do? Pick up the Nook and wait for their technical library to expand? Or just get the Kindle? Or does something like Calibre solve all my problems (buy on Amazon, convert to Nook)?

#12 vjvj, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  13. luxnagames

luxnagames New Member

It depends what do you want to do:

If you preffer to buy books probably best choose is something related to dedicated store - Kindle or Sony PRS but check if they selling ebooks in spanish, at least there are none in polish so I'm not insteresed online stores.

If you preffer read docs and API then connection to store doesn't matter.

As someone said - most pdf-s are A4 so they are unreadable in many e-readers (after zooming loosing graphics or just look bad).

If you are interested more about e-news or e-magazines then smartphone or tablet may be good. But reading real e-books on iPads or iPhones is a joke. It's even not close to e-ink comfort.

Personally I choosed Sony PRS 505 - I bought it to reading tons of docs and apis converted to pure text, and I'm really happy about it. It saves my eyes I can spend more time by reading thing necessary to my job. But remember it's only for that two things: reading non formatted text or dedicated books.