Engine for management strategy game

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by jackal27, Oct 4, 2018.

1. jackal27

jackal27 New Member

Hi. I'm working on a 2d management strategy game project with sprite-based graphics and have a difficulty to choose the right engine for the job. I looked at Unity, but it felt like it's making things for me more difficult and not easier. So I decided that I will try to make it from scratch - C# with Monogame managed code (former XNA). This is so much better than Unity - I don't feel like I have shackles on my hands anymore. I can make everything like I want it. However, designing the GUI is a tedious work if you are doing it from scratch. Now I'm starting to think that I would make progress more quickly with some engine. I'm not that far away with the project so I would be willing to switch if I find a better solution. Making a switch now would be a setback, but I'm willing to try if I find some engine that will feel right for the game and also for my "modus operandi".

Could anybody suggest me a game engine, that would be suitable for management strategy game?
    I will need to make a rich GUI, and complex logic. So what engine would make my life easier? Or should I stick to making the game from scratch?

2. WildG

WildG New Member

Hello

I've been making my own engine as well. Vanilla Javascript / HTML If you want we can exchange info. :)

I'm doing it from scratch, still working on the engine core but I have some ships moving around and attacking each other...
    Take a look: http://universeatarms.com

What is your project about?

Universe at Arms, the game I'm building as a hobby, will be a single player RTS survival game on a procedural generated map. I plan to make it with a strong industry so less focused on combat, with many alternatives to many problems...

Anyways, hit me back.

Discord: WildG#8861