Engine choice, Diablo like Hack n Slash.

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Okottekoneko, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Okottekoneko

Okottekoneko New Member

I am entirely fresh to games development, the closest i got is a few things i made messing around in RPG maker.

I am currently studying in games design, but i have wanted to make a game for years.

We will be using the UDK3 tool kit as part of my course, but i don't think that will be what i should use to make the game type i mentioned in the title.

So i came in search of answers. Google did not help one bit.
    So i came in search of a forum to help and this one popped up, so i am asking here.

The game i want to make is inspired by all the time i put into classic games like diablo 1 and 2, as well as the divinity series.
    Preferably i would like to make something 2d sprite based like diablo 2, but i don't want to start from scratch, i was hoping there was an engine i game get my hands on that i can use to get the ball rolling.

But if that is not an option, is there a 3D engine that is easy to use that will get the job done.
    As i will be using the UDK3 tool kit would that be a viable option or is there something better suited?

I hope i can get some help here.

If someone can point me in the way of a suitable set of tools that a layman like me can learn to use easily that would be great.
    Like i said something that will produce a Diablo 2 style game is preferable, but a set of any tools well suited or even tailored to making these sorts of games would be amazing.

#1 Okottekoneko, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2014
  2. arzi

Metacritic 75+ Indie Author

First of all, if Diablo style isometric art is what you are after, I'd strongly recommend going for 3D instead of 2D. With modern engines it's not that much more complicated, and it's actually a lot faster to create content in 3D (especially animations), and there's plenty of content available for free or cheap prices. As for the engine, I'd go with Unity3D, but UE might also be a viable option (I haven't used it myself). There are actually a lot of RPG frameworks for Unity available too, but I don't know how good quality they are.

3. jokeaccount

jokeaccount New Member

From what I've heard and what I've seen online people say that UDK (i.e. Unreal Engine 3) is quite complicated and hard to get your head around whereas Unreal Engine 4 is much better. However Unreal Engine 4 requires a subscription of 19$/month to use so I don't think you should look into that for your first few games. The best choice like arzi said would be Unity3D. The free version contains everything one could need for his first game and it has a strong community and good support. Also for a game like Diablo you might as well go the 3D route. This will also help you learn all the basic stuff there is to know about games that can generally be applied to 2D games as well so its not like you're wasting your time.

4. Okottekoneko

Okottekoneko New Member

I was more going the 2D approach for more the nostalgic route, but the 3D would be more readily avaliable.

I was saying the UDK3 more because its what i will be learning as part of my course work, but i have looked at the unity engine and will be giving that a shot too.

after my course ill be pursuing my game more.
    Have either of you done any work with a game that plays like the diablo style HnS?

5. Okottekoneko

Okottekoneko New Member

any good staring points and tutorials for either engine would be great.
    i dont want to buy a kit i would rather learn to code all of it.

UDK3 for the moment would be best tbh as i can use it all in my course as i do it.