Early screenshot

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by lennard, Feb 29, 2008.

1. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I've been working on another financial simulator and have an early screenshot to show:

[​IMG]

It's far from done but I would like peoples input on the color scheme. I've been thinking it should become more high contrast and vibrant but without becoming cartoony. It's not really a casual market game - even less so than Real E$tate Empire was - so I'm not much concerned about it being bright and colorful as with it being eye catching at a glance. Any thoughts or bright ideas would be appreciated.

2. princec

Indie Author

Ooooh shiney shiney very pretty city! Looks great. Font's horrible of course ;)

Cas :)

3. lennard

I think what I want is for the buildings to be colored both more realistically (so they look like real little buildings) and for the colors to be more high contrast/glossy.

The Big$hot font was something I cranked out with Font Fiend - trying to get the feel right but eventually it will be turned over to the artist to make a proper logo out of it.

4. Bmc

Bmc New Member

I personally love the look of the buildings. Maybe you can have them change shades as the time of day changes... as they are now would be perfect for nightime

5. Ratboy

Original Member

I do too. Those are beautiful color choices on the buildings.

6. Dan MacDonald

I haven't played any of your games lennard, but I have to say I always find the screenshots quite appealing and the game themes interesting.

7. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Color scheme is very original and interesting :)
    I agree with princec on the font - but I mean actually the courier font you used in the small texts.

8. vjvj

Indie Author

They definitely look like buildings... Like a futuristic Las Vegas. I almost feel like they would fit right in in X-Com 3!

That's my non-artist impression... Probably doesn't help :)

9. Twitchfactor

Original Member

yeah, to tell you the truth, if the buildings were more "realistic" colored, I wouldn't be as interested... That is, unless there was a completely fantastical sky behind it all! ;)

10. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

same here, great buildings. Your logo is really bad though, I would redo that from scratch.

11. OremLK

Indie Author

I agree with everyone else about the buildings, they look great. Everything else needs some work though; the portraits look particularly unpolished, what with being so pixelated and being cut off in strange ways.

12. Bungle

Bungle New Member

As everyone here is saying, the buildings look really good.
    The font and pictures of human faces look a bit crap though. The mix-matching style just doesn't work.

13. princec

Indie Author

Yep, them buildings look fab, like Vegas on shrooms. Just excellent. I only meant the courier font was naff though :)

Cas :)

14. jeb_

Indie Author

The buildings are nice, but the screenshot in overall doesn't appeal to me (since it appeals to the other posters here, it's obviously a matter of taste ;) ).

The problem for me is that the buildings stand on a flat glass surface, which makes the screenshot look very abstract. I think you have a potentional awesome gfx style, but extend it to cover streets and parks and such things. Yeah, I *do* mean you should extend the color theme to vegetation and asphalt!

Still, only an opinion. The short version is "too sterile".

15. Maupin

Original Member

Great looking buildings. I agree with OremLK and Bungle that cartoonish buildings don't mix well with real world people photos... in my opinion you need cartoonish portraits as well.

16. chanon

Indie Author

In general, I agree with jeb_

Don't know if you are going to add roads .. that might add some nice contrast to the buildings. Vegetation also would make it look less sterile.

The faces don't go together with the buildings well as others said.

The buildings themselves look great!

17. lennard

Thanks to everybody. Y'all haven't completely changed my mind about the buildings but I think we'll leave them be until the new backdrop is in place and then take another think.

Will replace the courier font and do another logo at some point.

The photo's are point sample scaled in my game engine just for layout purposes and I wasn't worrying about them too much yet... but since we are talking about them. I've been planning to either pre-scale in PS or to do a box-filter at load time to fix the chunky pixel look. I'm on an indie budget so I don't want to ask my artist to render 20 sketches as I don't think the players of this game will care that much - some will like it some will dislike but on the whole I don't think it will cost me downloads from the people who are going to care. As a point of reference, Build-A-Lot - with sales #'s I dream about - mixed drawn faces with actual photo's of work problems in the game. I want to blow my budget on getting the game play part of the main game screen to be as eye-catching/intriguing as possible. That said, does anybody know of a way to get a "Charles Schwab ad." type filter that I could run on them?

18. OremLK

Indie Author

The biggest thing for me is not actually the pixels, it's the way they're cropped strangely--they need a border fitting the edges of the crop where it happens or it'll look off.

As for your Charles Swab filter, you could try fiddling around with Poster Edges (Photoshop). May not be exactly what you're looking for though.

19. electronicStar

Original Member

IMO the problem isn't with the faces. I could live with digitized faces looking pixellated against the background. The real problem is with the grey circles around the faces. These circles are also totally pixellated and this is clashing with the rest of the interface which is totally smooth and totally cash.

As for the faces themselves, maybe you could increase contrast to match the rest of the picture and maybe play with the saturation level.

#19 electronicStar, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  20. lennard

When we have a new background I'll put up another version that has smoothly scaled faces and soft alpha-edges, same for circles (and a different font) - wasn't really worried about making those look clean while I move them around and resize things but it's looking like that is their final size and resting place.

The artist also has an idea for some filters to give the faces a more painterly look without rebuilding them from scratch or making them too cartoony which would clash with the rest of the look of the game.