EA Sues Zynga

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by HarryBalls, Aug 4, 2012.

1. HarryBalls

HarryBalls New Member

2. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I wouldn't describe any of these pointless "my dick's bigger than yours" legal cases as interesting. I wish they'd just grow up.

All I think when I see stuff like this is, "They have too much money and should drop their prices".

3. Nexic

Indie Author

Normally I'd agree with Applewood, however reading through the complaint it's obvious that Zynga are beyond guilty in this case. Their skin tones have the *exact* RGB values for example. So I'm behind EA 100%.

4. Stropp

Stropp New Member

Unless Zynga have literally copied assets from EAs (or anybody elses) games they haven't broken copyright. You can't copyright a 'design' or an idea. A design patent can protect a physical design like an iPhone; I'm not so sure it can protect the look and feel of a software application.

There is precedent. Back in the early or mid eighties there were two cases brought on the copying of look and feel. Lotus Corp sued a big company for using a similar user interface for a spreadsheet program (don't remember who sorry) and Apple sued Microsoft regarding the look and feel of Windows. Both lost on the grounds that look and feel are not protected under copyright laws. Those set a precedent in law if anything else, so I doubt EA will win this case unless Zynga has incompetent lawyers.

In anycase I see a lot of cheerleading for EA on this. While I don't like Zynga much for their predatory practices, I think it's dangerous to all developers everywhere to see a precedent established where look and feel of a program can be protected. Where does it stop? Does a company like EA then try and shut down legitimate competitors because they have a similar user interface element?

Do ideas then become protectable under copyright?

Personally I think the software industry is already being hamstrung by patent trolls and their patents of obvious software processes and programs that have years of prior art. We should leave copyright where it should be, protecting creators from having their work literally copied.

5. Desktop Gaming

At what point did it become "the norm" for companies to try to profiteer from suing other companies? Apple this, Samsung that, just invent some good shit then you don't have to keep suing each other.

6. Applewood

Here, here!

7. lennard

From what I've read Zynga really pushed the envelope (hey, I may be the first person in history to match Zynga with the phrase pushing the envelope) with this one. Nonetheless, I hope EA doesn't prevail, as noted above it's a bad, bad precedent.

8. rioka

rioka New Member

Hahah - this will definitely be interesting! I wonder which 800 lb gorilla will win? :>

9. Qitsune

Qitsune New Member

If EA wins, it will be interesting to see who sues EA for the exact same thing. I have some ideas in mind.

10. alfredosays

alfredosays New Member

It's nice to see EA protecting themselves and indies (even if the latter was a PR move) from the likes of Zynga. The pararells to this case, Samsung V Apple, and the countless patent trolls makes me hope that there will be new patent laws soon. This article provides a nice overview of whether or not this will set a new precedent in law.