Dungeon-crawl-runner QuestQuest - preview of alpha version

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by graygambitgames, Jul 1, 2012.

1. graygambitgames

graygambitgames New Member

Hi All,

I would like to present the first video from Alpha version of QuestQuest! This is the result of 2 months of development. The game is planned to be released for Android in August 2012.

You can find more information about QuestQuest on GrayGambitGames' page:

http://graygambitgames.com/questquest

Feedback welcomed!

#1 graygambitgames, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Nexic

Indie Author

Honestly, no one will play this more than 4 seconds unless:

1. You have to do something more than just earn points.
    2. The fighting is actually fighting, with animations, sound effects, tactics etc

3. graygambitgames

Thanks for the feedback!

Point are planned to be the main visible statistic, but game will collect other statistics (for example max sword skill, max gold found, longest play, etc). I'm planning to have an online ladder per each statistic and while the basic gameplay will always be the same, the player will have to use different tactic to get high score in each area. Getting best place on "max gold" ladder will require totally different tactic from "max sword skill" ladder.

What you see in the video is alpha state of the game - that's why you get instant-kill. The animations are very basic and there is no sounds, but as games moves into beta and release, more content will be added as well as fighting mechanics implemented.

4. graygambitgames

I'm starting a series of videos on the game mechanics. First comes time & speed:

The video demonstrates how picking too much loot decreases your speed to a ... crawl.

#4 graygambitgames, Jul 2, 2012
  5. dillweeds

dillweeds New Member

I don't agree. It's a Rouge-Like. People will be alright with that.

I am actually very excite by this. Very interesting spin on it. I can't really tell from the videos, but is this sort of "arcade"-like? That'd be really, really cool. Not often you get a very quick fix for a game of this kind. Very interesting combination. I'd bust out my Android phone for this game.

6. graygambitgames

I'm glad you like the concept! Yes, the game is meant to be a combination of roguelike-like rpg mechanics with arcade-like gameplay. The user actions will have to be "real time", instead of regular roguelike "turn based". I think, within its niche, the concept can find followers ;) The QuestQuest I will most probably only touch the surface of this concept, as it has a fixed development time to be released by August 2012) and if there will be interest, I'm planning to build on it with QuestQuest II, III, etc. Summary of features of QuestQuest I can be found here:

http://graygambitgames.com/questquest

7. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Really Dillweed? I'm with Nexic on this one - I had a hard time believing he was serious as I watched that video with the endless chests being walked over to gain 1000 gold.

If you are going to stick with this then, as a player, I'd want a top down representation so I could branch around in the dungeon.

8. graygambitgames

The "endless chests" were specially prepared level to show how player character actions slows down as he gets more loot "on him". The games *does not* have endless chests run, but I guess I failed to convey the message. I remember to use real generated level when showing the mechanics of chests themselves.

9. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

OK. Not trying to be a dick but... that doesn't seem fun to me - I usually like getting treasure. Can I avoid the treasure? I can see a game where the strategy is to collect my treasure on the way out or something but that game looked like it was on rails.

10. graygambitgames

Yes, pickup of treasure needs user action and it takes certain amount of time to open the chest meaning you can just stop and open every chest to get a lot of gold, but move only a few tiles, or skip all chests, run quickly through the dungeon and go after enemies or mix. I hope the video on chests mechanics will better convey the idea :)

11. graygambitgames

12. graygambitgames

As promised here is a new video, showing how loot works:

And explanation (re-posted from http://graygambitgames.com/post/26754487975/mechanics-loot)

Bonuses

There are three types of bonuses in QuestQuest: gold, health potion and time extension. Gold is the most obvious one - you collect it to spent later getting drunk in the tavern as well as to boost your main score. Health potion will allow you to restore health after fight. Time extension is the most powerful of the bonuses: it allows you playing longer than the initial two minutes. The bonuses, nice as they are, however have a downside. Both gold and health potion carry some additional weight which means after collecting them the player will move slower.

Big and Small Loot

There are two types of loot, distinguished by their size. Big loot contains mostly lots of gold and is easy to open. Small loot is harder to open but often contains bonuses other than gold. Rarely big loot will also contain health potion or time extension, but the chances for that are pretty low.

The distinction between the two sizes is aimed at people maxing out different statistics. If you want to score high on “gold” ladder, you will obviously pick up big loot. However if you want to max out “longest time” ladder, small loot can give you bonuses needed to achieve this. You can of course also completely ignore loot and just run through the dungeon to kill enemies!

#12 graygambitgames, Jul 8, 2012
  13. graygambitgames

The online ladders are now integrated with QuestQuest. This means people can now submit their scores and compare achievements. The neat thing about the ladder system is that types of ladders are purely server defined. This means more ladders can be added even after launch of game based on players feedback and ineffective ladders can be removed. The game will always send basic statistics and how ladders are defined depends on server :)

[​IMG]

14. graygambitgames

15. graygambitgames

New update is available - BETA 0.85. Major changes:

a) special screens for contacting server - this allows you to cancel the communication if it is taking too long. Previously the UI would block until the communication was done

b) storing submission tokens - each time you submit scores to server, QuestQuest receives submission token which allows it to recognize your scores on ladders. Previously those tokens were kept only until game shutdown. Now they are persisted and always available.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.questquest

16. Nexic

Indie Author

So you still basically just walk in a straight line and pickup treasure boxes?

17. graygambitgames

Well you also fight with imps using sword or axe and get to register your score on leaderboards (10 of them), though axe is not really well balanced and rarely used. I aim to improve this in one of next betas.