Domain name escrow

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Raptisoft, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Raptisoft

Indie Author

Hi everyone,
    I'm about to go through the process of buying a domain name off someone for the first time.

Has anyone done this? Can you recommend a good escrow service? Can you tell me a little bit about what to expect, so I don't go into this so blind that I get robbed?

Thanks,
    John

2. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

#2 Indiepath, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  3. richtaur

Indie Author

I think for most indies that's a huge waste of money. The average price for a new domain is something like $10, and when you buy from someone else you're often paying several times that, sometimes ridiculously high prices.

Why do you want this domain instead of a new one? It had better be getting some heavy traffic or it's not going to be worth it for you.

Remember too that you can just tack on "game" or "play" or something to make a domain unique so you can buy it fresh, eg (say your game's name is Demolition Man):

- demolitionmangame.com
    - playdemolitionman.com
    - thedemolitionmangame.com

etc! Save your money.

4. Pyabo

Original Member

Is it parked somewhere already? I've used sedo.com before in the past... transfers were very easy.

5. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

Or you could just skip domain names and get a catchy 1-800 number they could call to have the game shipped to them. Maybe 1-800-4MYGAME.

Sorry Raptisoft, I have no experience which domain name transfers. But that didn't stop richtaur from posting so I just had to join in as well.

I hope you get the name you really want.