Does this play on your iPhone?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Jamie W, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Hi Guys,

If anyone has an iPhone or iPod touch or iPad, can you see if you can play the video embedded here:

www.mrqwak.com/games/retroracing

It's being very hit and miss playing on my devices (plays some of the time).. :(

If it does play, can you try refreshing the page in your browser, and trying a few times? (for me, it plays about 6 times out of 10).

Cheers,
    Jamie.

2. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Worked 10/10 on my iPad 2.

3. j0d1

j0d1 New Member

I like the style! I don't have an iPhone but it's not playing at all on my Windows Phone / Internet Explorer.

4. barrygamer

Original Member

hmm, doesnt work for me on ipod touch 4th gen, iOS5, Safari. I just see the spinning loader for a few seconds, then nothing.

Watched the vid on my desktop - I also really like the style of the game :)

5. Jamie W

Thanks Chaps,

Yep, it seems very hit and miss for me too. Mostly 'hit' though...

I suspect WordPress is interfering with Vimeo in some way. I've embedded to video on it's own page, and it plays every time for me (same embed code, just no word press etc).

If the one embedded in word press didn't work, could you try this one:

http://mrqwak.com/v.php

It's the same video, just no word press.

Mostly satisfied with the game now, though could do with some more variation in the tile sets / visuals for the levels. Plays okay though, and has 2 player mode on iPad!

Cheers,
    Jamie.

6. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I believe this thread is just an excuse to get us to watch your video and go "awesome". It looks really neat, good luck with it. Sorry watched it on a Macbook.

7. Jamie W

Haha, thanks! and yeah, that thought had crossed my mind Jake!..

Seriously though, it does seem a little buggy, the Vimeo player, when embedded and viewed on an iOS device. Best not to lose too much sleep over it though. :)

8. Bram

Indie Author Greenlit

Plays on my iPhone4 (5.0.1) and iPad2 (5.0.1).

How did you make those videos?
    Is it a screen capture of the simulator?
    If so, how do you control the game, mouse clicks would be far too awkward?

Bram

9. Jamie W

To make the video I added some code in to my app that records and plays back the touches. I 'record' the touches on a device, this gets saved as a file, which I transfer from device to my Mac (in the documents folder where the iPhone Simulator is). I then run the App on the simulator, in 'play back' mode. As the game is playing back, the app will export screen grabs at a rate of 30fps (I opted for this, for purpose of making video, even though game runs at 60fps), that I save in the simulator documents folder (e.g. frame000000.tga frame000001.tga frame 000002.tga etc etc).

I convert this sequence of bitmaps in to a mov file, using QuickTime 7 on my Mac. Then use Camtasia studio and drag in the audio (which I record by connecting an audio cable from device to mac, and playing back the game on the device).

Just be sure to export as H.264, which the video hosting sites seem to like.

It's a bit involved, I know. At some point, I'll make a tutorial and stick it on my site.

I've noticed Vimeo gives much much better quality than YouTube. Sadly, it doesn't seem as reliable as YouTube, when it comes to playing back in mobile Safari.

I've also considered the point a CamCorder at device, and hit record option. I think if you get that setup right (right CamCoder, lighting, focus etc), you'd probably get better looking results, and less faffing around.

10. JoKa

Indie Author

10/10 successful tries on ipad2/iOS 4

11. FabianMatyas

FabianMatyas New Member

Works perfectly on iPhone 3GS.

I love the clean graphics. Wish you good luck with this game!

12. Bram

Indie Author Greenlit

Wow... pretty intricate setup indeed.
    The results are nice though.

I am toying with the idea to buy an HDMI recorder, and hook that up to an iPad doing HDMI mirroring.
    Not sure if DRM will get in the way though, as HDMI recorders refuse to record DRM content.

HDMI recorders are much more affordable since the introduction of this device:
    http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hyperdeckshuttle/

Anyway... thanks for sharing your methodology.
    It's probably too hard to do on my game, as I use OpenDE physics, and sadly, OpenDE does not produce identical results on subsequent runs.

Bram

13. Jamie W

Just be aware, that you may get very slow frame rate trying to capture anything video out from an iThing. I tried it.

I was using a component AV cable, and you needed to stick in extra code to get the 2nd video out signal. See: http://www.touchcentric.com/blog/archives/123

I only have a 4th Gen iPod touch and an iPad 1 though. I believe newer hardware will automagically output the second video signal (no need to add code in to your app etc), and maybe you'll get a better frame rate in an OpenGL app?

If you're interested in following the approach I took, the following is worth a look: http://fabiensanglard.net/shmup_generate_videos/

14. Jamie W

Floats are evil...!?