DirectX website: Windows XP now second-class citizen?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Adrian Lopez, May 12, 2007.

1. Adrian Lopez

Original Member

A link to the old DirectX website (www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/) now redirects users to the DirectX 10 section of the Games for Windows website. That section of the website is currently just a blurb about DirectX 10 and doesn't contain any links to the DX9 end-user downloads. It appears that Windows XP is quickly becoming a second-class citizen.

How do you lead your players to the necessary DirectX runtime components?

2. Pyabo

Original Member

Microsoft has forgotten why they made DirectX in the first place.

3. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

4. ManuTOO

Original Member

5. jcottier

jcottier New Member

> I have about 20 times this URL, on my website and in my games

To avoid this problem, I have a tiny html file on my main site:

get_directx.html for example.

This is how it look:

<html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="0; URL=http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en">
    </head>
    </html>

So, for every reference to DirectX, I just point to this link. I only need to update in one place.

I recommand you to do something similar for your 'BUY NOW' button/link. Just in case you want to change your ecommerce provider.

JC

6. tau

tau New Member

Well, M$ is pushing their Vista, what can you say? They just force a non-tech-savvy users to upgrade. For me, I'm fine with Win2000 still :D

7. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Dell and other OEMs are once again offering XP as an option on machines, because people don't like Vista and were choosing not to upgrade their computers. So I think XP is going to be around for a long while yet.