Development PC Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by higgipoker, Sep 23, 2015.

1. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

So, I was all ready to order my shiny new i5 4690 3.5 GHz with 16Gb RAM to replace my 7 year old Core 2 Quad with 4Gb.

Then I did a wee test... My dev PC runs Linux Mint but I also have an iMac for video editing etc, specs:

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 (mid 2011)
    8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

I use eclipse for development so was able to set up the same environment on both machines. Guess what. The old Core 2 Quad compiled my projects faster than the i7! I have solid state drives in both machines.

So, to any hardware buffs out there, would I really experience a big difference on my dev machine by upgrading to a new i5? My unscientific test seems to suggest it might not really be worth it, though it seems really hard to believe. I had expected a CPU intensive task like compiling to receive a big shot in the arm with the i7, but for it to actually take longer puzzles me to say the least!

2. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

That does seem hard to believe. Might there be other factors at play (e.g. iMac running iTunes in the background sucking up memory)?

3. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

That's possible, I'm gonna try again later with a fresh boot on both machines. Though, I'd like to think the mac would still blow the older machine away even then!

4. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

46 seconds on the i7, 50 seconds on the core 2 quad... not exactly a massive boost...

5. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

Mystery solved, and I do feel a little silly : of course you have to specify the number of parallel jobs for the compiler.

Now, with 7 parallel jobs, the i7 clocks in at 12 seconds vs core 2 (3 jobs) at 28 seconds.

I have just ordered an i7 skylake kit and shall be collecting it later today :D

6. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

How do they compare with the same number of threads?

7. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

The 46 seconds vs 50 seconds was with both running a single process. I've actually just picked up and assembled the new i7 system, will report shortly :p

8. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

lol 4.7 seconds using 8 threads :D

9. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

Here's some figures for the new i7:

Single job: 18.9 seconds
    2 jobs: 10.1 seconds
    4 jobs: 5.8 seconds
    8 jobs: 4.7 seconds

So it seems the hyperthreading doesn't really give much benefit; an i5 would have been fine.