Developing a Facebook Game

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Richard Nunes, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Richard Nunes

Richard Nunes
    Expand Collapse

I came up with a game concept that I think would work well in an environment like Facebook. Does anyone have experience developing this sort of game? Can I go as low-tech as PHP or ASP? Post game updates to member's walls? Do I have to host the database myself or does Facebook provide something like a 1k memory space for members? I would appreciate any details or experiences.

2. Applewood

Applewood
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member Indie Author

The answer is pretty much yes across the board. You can either write PHP pages using their access functions, or you can use some html to embed a flash game same as you would anywhere else, or a mix of the two.

Full details here

3. Richard Nunes

Richard Nunes
    Expand Collapse

I was looking it over and it all looks straightforward. PHP with MySQL seems to be the preferred platform.

Any personal experiences? Financial tips? Can I monetize the game in any way to offset hosting costs?

4. Applewood

Applewood
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Nothing yet. This is one of the many things on my "one day" list.

5. Maupin

Maupin
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

I've developed two nongame apps that are basically just ads for other projects. I haven't experimented with monetizing traffic directly. There is a subforum devoted to that topic in the Facebook developer forums. It seems that getting users to sign up for offers is the preferred method, which always seemed slightly shady to me.

My experience making one simple app and one extremely complicated app hasn't been all that great. Facebook docs and development wiki are frequently missing information, especially about posting to user's news feeds or on your friend's walls. I've added to the wiki myself as I discovered things but some pages are locked against editing. You have to do a lot of trial and error.

Unless you go the iframe route (and maybe even then) apps aren't exactly stable. Things stop working every now and then and sometimes Facebook changes things and breaks your apps. You can always tell because the forum will be flooded with angry posts by developers.

I just discovered that one of my apps is broken thanks to something they pushed out recently. :( The app is written in their sandboxed version of Javascript which is practically impossible to debug locally and differs between browsers. The debug process is: upload the file, refresh the page, either it all works or absolutely nothing works.

6. ragnor

ragnor
    Expand Collapse

I did make an app for an Facebook, actually game was there i just put it on the facebook. It was an online flash game like travian. I try to give some tips from my brief experience.

First, i find it relatively easy to make an facebook application. If you can make a browser game you can make a facebook game. Actually you make a browser game, put it on a host then tell facebook your applications adress. Besides that all the facebook api is about user verification and users facebook information.

Wiki had all the information i need but i had to look really hard sometimes, but example apps are your real friends, don't forget that. They were more useful in some key problems i had.

I wouldn't suggets iframe route as i find fbml is more useful. Ok, maybe facebook guys still working on the api but i still think that using fbml is better way as it gives you easy way integrating your app with facebook.

Javascript has problems in facebook. I don't tackle with it too much as my project was a flash game, but if i were you i wouldn't make i javascript heavy game for facebook. Use it only whenever you must.

Php and flash has good support with facebook api. I didn't use the flash version of the api. In my project i just have to send the username and password to game client(flash) and i make it automaticly sended as player enters the facebook page of the game. My real problem was sending the info discreetly. I had to do losts of workarounds but i find a way in the end. I find working with fbml is much more easy then using iframe at that time, so maybe in your project i can use iframe without a problem, you have to look and decide.

I hope this helps, english isn't my native lang. so there maybe some stuff i couldn't explain clearly :).

7. Richard Nunes

Richard Nunes
    Expand Collapse

ragnor, your English was very clear.

I've never developed in PHP nor Flash so I'll tackle that first. I suppose I'll develop the game stand-alone with an eye on how and where Facebook would be integrated, and then integrate once I have the game developed and tested.

Thanks everyone for the help.

8. Axeman

Axeman
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

One option for monetizing these type of games is http://www.cpalead.com/ . That service was specifically created for monetizing free web games.