Dev approaching Indie game design - assets production/inspiration

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by TheSorcerer, Oct 1, 2015.

1. TheSorcerer

TheSorcerer New Member

Hello everyone,
    I find this community very encouraging, and I would like to start asking a very noob question.
    I am a dev, not a game dev, with some years of experience in Java, I've also implemented a game with Unity 3D but it was very basic, and it was years ago.
    This time, I would like to leverage my knowledge of Java, so I decided to go for LibGdx.
    After spending some nights playing with the framework, I felt even more excited to start.
    In my daily job I work using git, and splitting the workload in tickets using Jira (it's like Trello but more enterprise), so the management of a small project should not be a problem for now.
    What I'm try to achieve is the production of a simple 2D cross-platform game (Android, iOS and maybe PC and Mac).
    My weakest point at the moment is the production of the graphic assets, I know how to use photoshop but in a very basic way.
    Some solution I'm considering are:
    - buying a Wacom tablet and learn how to draw
    - paying an artist or buying from a third party like Turbosquid the assets
    - forcing the concept of my game to use a set of assets so simple I can produce them easily

I have previously posted the question on Quora but with no luck (https://www.quora.com/I-am-a-develo...ould-be-the-best-strategic-choice-for-my-case)

I am worried the first option might be too expensive in terms of time and the second in terms of money ;)

Any other option or consideration will be much appreciated.
    Has anyone ever faced a situation like this?
    Are there any affordable suite of Software/Tool to help a pseudo-artist to produce graphic assets?

2. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

Kinky profile picture...

Also, option 3. Faster and cheaper maybe bad at first, yeah but really in the end of the day, it all comes down to how well it is received as well as told on the spot!

3. TheSorcerer

TheSorcerer New Member

Thank you for your honest answer.
    Sorry for the long silence, my project is still ongoing and this is what I have opted in the end
    • a lot of graphic assets are available for free at Kenney.nl and it's a great website for inspiration and as a starting point.
    • Gimp is totally free and very good for my basic needs when I need to apport some minor modifications at some assets.
    • I've bought a background for 5$ with a parallax effect on www.gamedevmarket.net/
    • Found on PeoplePerHour.com a good graphic designer who for an honest price produced the main character
    So far it has been just a part-time project with a limited amount of time allocated to it but I would like to start focusing more on it.

Here is a screenshot,

comments are welcome! [​IMG]

phobia.png

4. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

It does maintain a certain sinister mysterious vibe.

5. Rekusi

Indie Author

Nice spooky little screenshot. :)

I say option 2 and 3 to start off with. Wacoms are great if you are a pencil and paper artist that needs to convert your work to computer. But if you cant even draw then why bother imho. Just keep learning PS. There are zillions of tuts out there. I get most of assets for free and some our bought. If your game is basic enough you can most certainly get away with using 3rd party assets.

Oh Jira. I only use it to check the status of engineering tickets. :)

6. kevintrepanier

Original Member Indie Author

If you DO want to learn to make your own graphics, ditch the computer and take up some papers and pen and do some observation drawings to start with. Start with good old wooden pens then later maybe learn how to ink your pieces with markers or nib pens. If you ever get yourself a wacom, you'll go through the same creation process on the computer anyway : sketch, clean and ink, so you might as well train your hand with good old analog technologies like pen and paper.

But then that's just the start! Once you can draw things, you have to learn to arrange them in a picture so you have to learn composing pictures.