Design ideas for a 2D arcade-like top-down space shooter game

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by BlackTHunder407, Apr 14, 2016.

1. BlackTHunder407

BlackTHunder407 New Member

Hi ! :)

I'm currently developing a 2D arcade-like top-down space shooter game.

The basic rules are as follows:
    • In order to reach a new planet, player will have to collect coordinates on current planet.
    • To reach current planet, player will have to defeat its fleet (enemy defenses).
    It should also be noted that:
    • There will be a boss at the end of each level.
    • There will be a checkpoint after each wave.
    The player will have the ability to collect the following items:
    • Health after breaking health containers – health floats to the ship regardless of its position (animation)
    • Ammo after breaking ammo crates – player needs to get close to ammo in order to collect (magnet)
    • Credits after destroying enemies (including asteroids except explosive ones) – credits amount depends on enemy’s power/health
    • Crystal matter after breaking crystals – amount is random (with boundaries)
    This is pretty regular and I'm looking for additional original ideas to make it more unique.

The game is intended as a smartphone game using touch controls.

If you have any suggestion, comment, or would like additional details, go ahead! ;)

I could add more details to this description but I don't want it to be too boring. If something isn't clear, I'll be happy to answer your questions.