cross-platform RAD

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by george, May 14, 2006.

1. princec

Indie Author

Was just a legit question really.. why not Java?

Cas :)

2. Fabio

Original Member

Indeed, it's legitimate, but the original poster bothered to EXPLICITLY write "not java", so maybe it would be better to PM if one has the time to dedicate to ask about what one person in the world (and there are millions pro and con) thinks about Java. ;)

The real problem is that a certain number of topics (to java or to not java; to clone or not to clone; to be or not to be..) take up most of the board's discussions IMHO uselessly. I find myself less and less interested into this otherwise great board because of this, and I think that others do as well. For the biggest part, who is pro won't change idea and who is con probably neither. This may be due to many reasons but, in my own opinion, it's mostly because neither of the two groups is ignorant. To each one what fits bests his/her own tastes and needs. Simple as that. One should accept that others may need or like or feel naturally comfortable with something different than we do, yet not being confused or ignorant or stupid or blind or simply plainly wrong. :)

I mean, sometimes it's right to be wrong, Cas. ;)

3. mahlzeit

Original Member

So is the anti-Java police.

Java with SWT is fine for a cross-platform desktop app, but if this is something to sell to Joe Average, I'd use C++ with wxWidgets. There is only a handful of things you need to make cross-platform in C++ and you can already find all of that code on the web. The big issue is the GUI and wx is great for that. But it's not really RAD.

4. george

Original Member

lol i love you guys, you are so funny. somehow this argument always comes up now and then. let me clarify my position....

java is great, no doubt about it. but i need something as compatible as possible. not to mention possible java runtime issues on client machines, but i've read that using platform specific features can be difficult to utilize properly in java. and java isn't much more rad than a proper c++ setup from my experience...

after studying the alternatives, it seems the best solution for me would be to use c++ (gcc for most compiler compatibility) with wxWidgets, and a nice IDE such as codeblocks and a nice gui design tool such as DialogBlocks or wxDesigner. these tools together will "hold-my-hand" in the gui design and programming process much like delphi and other tools do.

initially, my main attraction to an alternative such as python et al was the simple high-level logic code and builtin management for things like lists, etc. i didn't want to use stl or something like that for linked lists etc. due to the complexity, possible compiler incompatibility, etc. but since wxWidget has builtin classes for strings and lists, i don't have to worry about that.

i believe i made the right choice. i wanted to find a balance betweeen cross-platform, performance, and ease-of-use. but if you guys have any further comments or suggestions please let me know!

p.s. i hope this thread helped someone with similar problems i am having. definitely check out http://www.wxwidgets.org

thanks!
    ________
    The Cliff Condominiums Cosy Beach
    ________
    AngelicDevil cam

#24 george, May 15, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  5. Diragor

Original Member

You've apparently decide already but I'm going to throw in my $0.02 anyway. :)

Ruby + ruby/gtk or wxruby + RubyScript2Exe

I've been a big fan of Delphi for many years and have recently become an even bigger fan of Ruby. I haven't used it for stand-alone GUI app development yet, but since you can use the same designers for GTK or WxWidgets that you'd use with any other language I don't think it'll be very difficult.

6. MrPhil

Original Member

7. george

Original Member

i take that back... i decided to use wxDevC++ which is a custom version of the popular DevC++ IDE specific for wxWidgets which includes a fully-featured wxWidgets gui designer, and best of all it comes with gcc compiler and a pre-compiled wxWidgets library so you can get started with multi-platform c++ programming RIGHT AWAY. it's amazing! it's almost exactly like delphi/c++ builder, but for wxWidgets & multi-platform.

highly recommended, check it out at http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/

:)
    ________
    NEXIUM SETTLEMENT INFORMATION
    ________
    WEB SHOWS

#27 george, May 15, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  8. HairyTroll

Original Member

C++, eh? Rapid-- definitely.

9. Fabio

Original Member

You are definitely right, but how come that every other thread in this boards ends up in a "Java vs non-Java" debate?
    I'm having enough of this, really, and I don't mean to polemize, at all. I think it's damn boring totally regardless of the known merits of Java or non-Java solutions. It's like being with a girlfriend that always compares you with her ex boyfriends, even if she says you're better than them in all regards, it annoys in the end.

10. princec

Indie Author

No-one's talked about it for months.

11. Jason Chong

Original Member

Oi ! Anyone even bothered to look at lazarus yet ? :D

That's DELPHI using oss FreePascal compiler. And it works with mysql, postgresql, firebird etc.

12. dmikesell

Original Member

+1 Use Eclipse's PyDev plugin and you have a first class IDE.

13. dmikesell

Original Member

Right, it was the first language to be hyper-marketed. As a language, it's bloated and cumbersome to use. All the marketing did was convince a bunch of pinhead managers that they could off-shore their development to lousy developers (or hire entry level to replace senior level) because Java was so "easy to use".

14. dmikesell

Original Member

Just make sure you test on the nearly limitless combinations of JVMs, 3rd party jars, db drivers, and platforms. Java's "write once run anywhere" claim ten years later is still unadulterated, marketing hype, bullshit.

15. princec

Indie Author

Er.. right. Seems to be working for the rest of us.

16. dmikesell

Original Member

My Java experience is business software. Smaller scale, standalone desktop applications may have better success. So you just drop your jar files on different platforms and they work?

17. princec

Indie Author

My Java experience is both business and games, realtime TV, and a bunch of serverside stuff. Java deployment is not about expecting jar files to just run! Mostly we use Webstart to distribute in business these days, which is easy and reliable enough; any chance of conflicts with VM versions and we simply embed the VM in the distributable. It's no different to any other runtime system in this respect. There are otherwise almost no differences between the platforms apart from the occasional bug but then, most software's like that.