Copyright question - can you mention tv or movie references in commercial games??

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by nerfedpixel, Sep 8, 2013.

1. nerfedpixel

nerfedpixel New Member

Hi there, as the question stated, could you have say.. a weapon called FREDDIE KRUGER GLOVES!! etc etc.. or JASONS MACHETE etc etc.. or is this going too far..
    though im wondering about all those QUIZ games they clearly wouldnt have to go around getting permission from everyone to ask questions about movies.. so i wanted
    to know if you were allowed to reference small aspects of movies.. cheers.

2. Frozen In Ice

Original Member Indie Author

I wouldn't , but that's just me.

3. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus New Member

From what I understand, there's a pretty fine line there. Even when they don't have to, most media producers that make references to other things tend to like getting permission to do so, just to avoid any issues. I'd avoid making such references where at all possible. And where you REALLY want to, just try to change the name enough that it can be labeled parody.

4. electronicStar

Original Member

you can mention another work, but what you want to do would be more like appropriating elements from the other IP and it's definitely a bad idea IMO