Copyright - protecting my work

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by darklights, Jun 6, 2011.

1. darklights

darklights New Member

Hi,

I'm an individual (i.e. I do not own a company) working on a game in my spare time, which I plan to release to Xbox & PC within a few months. I'm about 60% the way through, and my thoughts are turning to final graphics assets, and coming up with a final title, etc.

What can I do to protect my assets, game name, etc? I.e. to stop them being copied? I have no idea what my rights are. Would it be different if I had a company? This is something I want to avoid if at all possible, this is just a hobby for me.

2. Dogma

Dogma New Member

You don't need to start a company. Digital game assets are covered by copyright law, for both individuals and companies. Names are covered by trademark law and this might require you to invest some money (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark).

Read this as a start to digital copyright:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act

Your rights aren't as interesting as ways to enforce them though. Noone is going to protect your assets for you, so you will have to do it yourself.

3. Vino

Vino New Member

Step 1: Make something popular enough to be copied.

If you haven't gotten that far then you're really not doing yourself any good spending time or money on this issue.

But then, if it really worries you, you need to be talking to a lawyer not an internet forum.

4. darklights

darklights New Member

Thanks for the answer dogma. Are trademarks usually registered by indie game developers? I'm guessing probably the companies who depend on sales for income do, and probably not individuals.

I'm not sure if I'm overthinking this, and shouldnt worry about trademarks?

5. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Yeah don't bother. I never protected any of my game assets and I've made $250,000+ from 7 games which no one has ripped off. Concentrate on making great games instead. Same thing goes for over the top anti-piracy stuff imho.

6. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

I've been going over-board on anti-piracy (for iOS) lately. The worse bit about it, is how it focusses your mind. Normally, making games is fun, creative, positive etc. You create code, it's beautiful, clear, concise, elegent; then you add in anti-piracy code. Suddenly, all your gorgeous code is booby-trapped, designed to break. The whole ethos of adding in anti-piracy code is negative, and contrary to the creative impuse we have to create games in the first place.

Question is; are you focussing on something negative, or something positive...

7. darklights

darklights New Member

Thanks guys you've pretty much answered what I was thinking - am I thinking too much about this? The answer is yes :)