Confirmed 98% piracy ratio

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Borundin, Dec 24, 2010.

1. potan

potan New Member

speaking about DRM & piracy + single player game,
    There is this new adventure game (looks pretty cool):

http://www.thedreammachine.se/

which save all the game data on their server, so you will need internet connection to play the game, not sure how successful the game is so far.
    Probably they do this to avoid piracy ?
    Since this kind of adventure game, usually can be find in a downloadable form & doesn't need internet connection.

I wish they have a developer blog or something that talk about how successful this model works & how is the acceptance by adventure gamers (since they are used to the downloadable form)

2. Borundin

Borundin New Member

Just a quick follow up. Today I decided to calculate the piracy rate yet again just for fun (and "fun" is a very poorly chosen word btw).

Heavy Hogur has a 99.8% piracy rate as of 2011-05-21. Yeah you read that right.

3. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

That seems low.

4. loki

loki Guest

your concerned about pirates? maybe you guys should be concerned about making great games instead of MONEY.
    85% of the pirates won't buy your game anyway if they can't torrent it.
    you'll only making enemies of your FANS. piracy is free marketing! in the end of the day do you care about all the world playing your game and making a change, or you care about +20% profit!

i don't support drm or pirate hate and i never will, because i was a pirate, and i still am.
    and that's why i don't mind people pirating my game, most pirates won't want to buy it anyway.
    i want to influence people with my games, not to squeeze them for money!

half the pirates are just to poor, and if they enjoy my game well great.
    half the pirates are just ungratefull, i dont want their money.

if you guys want the +20% profit take it! go hunt pirates, upload fake torrents, put drm's and stuff.
    im happy making a profit for my work, even if its little

5. Nexic

Indie Author

Maybe you shouldn't be posting on a board meant for professionals?

6. loki

loki Guest

well you know what they say - haters gonna hate. i hope to see you at this years IGF, professional

7. Nexic

Indie Author

It's clear that your closing comment is attempting to insult me, but I honestly have no idea in what way. I suspect you're either challenging me to some kind of real life confrontation, or you're trying to imply I'm not a professional because I won't attend the IGF?

8. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

c'mon Nexic! just stop the hatin' dawg! lol...

loki - of course we're concerned about pirates... after you've worked for years on something, having someone (99.8% of someones actually) steal your work is a major kick in the balls. My balls are hurting just thinking about it actually...

9. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Wow amazing, business advice from a self-proclaimed pirate. Just when I thought I'd have seen everything! Indiegamer never ceases to amaze me!! :D

10. Bad Sector

Original Member

@loki:
    After reading your first couple of sentences i thought "are you serious? they'll rip you a new one". Next sentence i was like "you're messing with powers you don't understand, you should have lurked more around here".

Then at the end of the post i realized the errors of my initial thinking. You sir, brought trolling to a whole new level. Every part of your post is carefully crafted to provoke the members of this forum with an area blast effect that will affect even those who realize the machinations behind it. Congratulations, how long were you really lurking and from where did you came from? I believe this will remain a mystery.

11. princec

Indie Author

I think you might have wandered into the wrong forum. This is a place where people are trying to make a living - you know, keep a roof over their families heads, feed their little girls, that sort of thing - not just make pocket money. My advice to you is to leave before you upset everyone with views that are the polar opposites of nearly everyone here and cause a needless waste of flame-juice.

Cas :)

12. meds

meds New Member

I am focused on making great games, but I just hate how so many people feel justified in enjoying what I create without paying the pitiful sum of money i ask for in return.

Piracy is free marketting? Says who? youre anecdotal evidence/thought experiment?

I also don't subscribe to the idea that 'half the pirates are just poor', and even if they are, that doesn't give them free reign. I'm just too poor to own a ferrari, doesn't mean I'll steal one, even if for a brief joy ride ;)

When you start sinking huge sums of money into your games and need a certain return to justify the expenditure get back to me ;) Games are just that, pretending that you're influencing people or changing the world is just naive optimism on your part.

You also don't strike me as the kind of person who works, you look more like the self entitled prick whose still somewhere in highschool getting his face punched in on a daily basis..

13. loki

loki Guest

i actually was wanted to share a honest opinion that is the truth. yea pirates are a problem, but most of them wont buy the game if they cant crack it anyway. only ubisoft has been kinda successfull at anti-piracy and they still got cracked, and only made most of them fans hate them. hawx2 is an uncracked game and no pirate wants to buy it.
    but i didn't come to troll. i just believe drm's and anti-pirate wars arent the best way and only make it worse.

and then nexic comes and tells me that i shouldnt post in a professionals forum.
    ive worked as a professional retouch for magazines, and i dont insult people.
    well thats pretty arrogant, thats trolling.
    i though indie devs should exchange some nice knowledge but i see only envy, arrogance and greed.
    i dont wanna read this thread anymore, i wanted to share my opinion for a better future but ill only get flamed to hell

14. CJX

CJX New Member

I am not a video game pirate, or a troll (and I have no experience of it happening to me personally), so take this opinion as you will, but I am not entirely opposed to loki's views (poorly expressed as they were). Unfortunately piracy is part of internet life, and it does gain you attention, and it doesn't represent a lost sale. I suspect that 98% of your pirates wouldn't have bought your game if they couldn't have got it for free.

Beat piracy by introducing features that cannot be pirated - people who play the cracked game and like it may well buy the legitimate version for the full experience. Those who don't, probably wouldn't have bought in the first place.

15. Nexic

Indie Author

This isn't a professional photo retouching forum now is it?

Your so called 'knowledge' isn't actually knowledge. It's pure myth, circulated by people who want to give moral justification to their illegal activities. In the instance of a 98% piracy rate, if just a small fraction of those pirates were to buy the game, that would be a massive increase in sales for the developer, and could easily make the difference between success and bankruptcy. When you have a family to support, bankruptcy is a big deal. But you wouldn't know about that being a kid who is still supported by his parents.

16. jcottier

jcottier New Member

EDITED so Jack Norton can understand this post :)

"Pirate won't buy your game..." You said.

This isn't completely true. Yes, they won't buy all the games they pirate but if tomorow, there is absolutely no way software could be pirated, 100% of the pirates would end up
    buying some games. QED

JC

#176 jcottier, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
  17. RemCoder

RemCoder New Member

What a concentrated amount of bullshit you have written here, it's pretty impressive.

When i was a kid and it was not possible to copy the videos games on cardrige or cds, i was keeping my money during months in order to buy a new video game that i really wanted to play.

Nowadays it is possible to steal most video games, songs, movies, softwares with the pirate links.
    If there was a law enforcement to check exactly what each computer download, be sure that most pirates will become buyers again, and will keep their money in order to buy the video game they really want to play.

I agree that adding a protection for your software is not really efficient to avoid pirate links, but don't say that people who pirate a video game won't buy it if they weren't able to pirate it. That is untrue and their favorite excuse.

18. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Actually it's the biggest bullshit I've ever read. I had lots of sales from warez sites since I moved from fullversion download to online activation. Definitely NOT a trivial amount. Must thank again Cas for letting me see the light! :D

19. Mattias Gustavsson

Original Member

I think that as a community, we shouldn't really put up with this sort of thing - I mean, really, a self-proclaimed pirate trolling and flame-baiting... I say a ban is in order here. imho.

20. Vino

Vino New Member

That's interesting, I don't think I've heard this viewpoint before. Would you help me see the light too please?