Commercial General Liability Insurance?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by SteveZ, Jan 26, 2006.

1. SteveZ

Indie Author

Hello folks,

One of the distribution channel was interested in promoting Cactus Bruce, however they needed a Commercial General Liability Insurance - so that if the distribution channel got sued because of Bruce and lost, the insurance would cover the settlement and attorney's fee (I believe).

Has anyone here gotten a Commercial General Liability Insurance? If so, what step was needed to obtain one, was it worth it, and what about how much did it cost?

Thanks!
    Steve Z.

2. Sirrus

Original Member

Seems to be an odd request from a distributor - is this one more obscure?

3. Indiepath.T

Original Member Indie Author

Don't they have a section covering limitation of liabilities in ther agreement? Do they have an agreement :D

4. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Sounds like a scam to me. Or maybe it makes sense. After all, kids these days steal cars and shoot cops on their way home from school. Next they'll be wearing eye patches and throwing bananas at monkeys.

5. Tom Gilleland

Original Member

We've never had to get insurance for any distribution channel. The contracts always include liability limitation stuff. This sounds fishy, as in "full of carp" ;)

Tom

6. SteveZ

Indie Author

Under NDA I can't disclose the companyname , but I can guarentee everyone on this board has heard of it in good lights.

7. Tom Gilleland

Original Member

I would not get the insurance unless they were really big and I knew for a fact that the sales would easily cover the cost of the insurance. And that they absolutely required it. Even then I think I would try to negotiate out of it because it just isn't standard. And it really sounds like a waste of money.

Just remember that you are allowed to cross out things in contracts. The contract is just a written version of the deal. If you don't agree with something in the deal then don't do it.

Of course if you're going to lose a lucrative deal then ignore this reply. ;)

Tom

8. Pyabo

Original Member

Why aren't they just carrying the insurance themselves? I don't get why they want YOU to do it?

9. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Man, everything's a big secret these days.

10. electronicStar

Original Member

You should refuse. It's not a standard thing to do, and if it was it shouldn't be YOUR prerogative to pay for it. If indies start accepting this sort of crap then it WILL become standard practice.