Casual gamers ready for RPGs? Looks like it..

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Sirrus, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Sirrus

Original Member

So Aveyond is #7 on BigFish today - first of all, congrats...

Secondly, this must indicate *something* - Aveyond is a pretty traditional style RPG...so the question is, are casual gamers finally getting more evolved?

2. Sakura Games

Original Member

Yes, Amanda will be very happy with the huge amount of money coming to her way...! I think she's ready to do a sequel.

Anyway is not the first signal: even tower defense was quite UNUSUAL (to say the minimum) casual game. Heck, even Savant featured on his site so must be not a bad game! :rolleyes:

3. Ricardo C

Original Member

Maybe it's not a sign of casual gamers beginning to embrace other genres, but a sign of portals expanding their scope, and thus attracting more hardcore gamers. Either way, it's a good thing.

4. lakibuk

Indie Author

Congratulations to the developer! Nice to see that the portal audience reacts positively to a non match-3 game.

5. Emmanuel

Moderator Original Member

Actually Big Fish has launched non-typically-casual titles on a regular basis and for a long time, handling the publishing/distribution of Master of Defense for instance. They even tried Garden War! Aveyond is extremely engrossing and hit the market at the right time.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

6. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

It's the first step towards people rpeparing for the huge sales bonanza of Kudos :D
    But yes, this sounds like welcome news.

7. whisperstorm

Original Member

I still play Fate even after I bought it a year ago. And I forked over $35 for a lifetime membership at DragonFable.com - the sequel to Adventure Quest - because its the only thing I can play at off times. A casual rpg would be awesome ...

8. amaranth

Original Member

Wow, this is so cool! I didn't even know :p

9. Davaris

Original Member

I'm not surprised. :) Its targeted at the right audience and is very easy to pick up and play. Congrats Amaranth. :)

10. Bmc

Bmc New Member

speaking on casual rpgs, does anyone know if PopQuest is still in Pop Cap's pipeline or?

11. whisperstorm

Original Member

Imagine if we got Amaranth and Papillon to collaborate on a game - they'd be unstoppable :)

12. Sirrus

Original Member

They announced it several years ago, I assume its been on the backburner for some time. Haven't heard any recent news on it.

Aveyond has risen to 6 now...nice.

13. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

It makes sense to me. Imagine your standard match 3 game, only with a more expanded story mode. The only thing left is to take away all that pesky colour matching. Even better!

14. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

It doesn't make any sense to me. Occasionally niche games resonate with the casual market (see Platypus). But I hardly think it is any indication of a shift in the tastes of casual customers.

RealArcade put considerable effort into expanding their games to appeal to more then just the casual segment and sell new types of games to casual players. Every attempt failed miserably.

Still, if we ever did enter and environment where games like Universal Boxing Manager and Democracy were suddenly popular on portals I think it would be bad for independant developers.

15. Ricardo C

Original Member

Why's that?

16. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I just want to comment that between Aveyond and UBM or Demoracy there's an abyss - not talking about "which game is better" etc, but by the fact that Aveyond is clearly more accessible and attractive even for women (manga art, nice story, easy to play).

Another very important aspect, I can at least speak for my game - I think female customers for UBM are more or less 1% of total :D

17. Dan MacDonald

Because portals are bad for sustaining independance.

18. Coyote

Indie Author

Don't forget the fact that Spiderweb's RPGs have been selling for a while on RealArcade... that's one of the few portals he's been selling through.

19. Dan MacDonald

Yes, but Jeff V. has stated publically that the protals dont generate much revenue for him. I would chalk that up as one of RA's attempts to expand the market.

20. Ricardo C

Original Member

You don't have to sell through them if you don't want to. But you can still benefit from them growing the market.