Can succesful indie devs qualify for EB-1 US visas?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Ricardo C, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Ricardo C

Original Member

Something that caught my eye while I was getting the forms for my US tourist visa:

The EB-1 visa is for "aliens of extraordinary ability", and in some cases, it may be petitioned for by the alien himself, even if he has no employment offer in the United States.

To qualify for an EB-1 visa, the alien must provide evidence for three or more of the following:

Conditions 3, 6, 7, and 9 sound as though they could be met by a relatively succesful indie, I think. Or am I overestimating our industry in terms of its ability to impress outsiders? :p

2. soniCron

Indie Author

I'm not familiar with these types of requirements since I'm already a U.S. citizen, but as you all know, I've got an opinion on everything, so: I believe enough of those conditions could be met by winning an award at the IGF. (Or, possibly even a nomination would suffice.) Anyone disagree?

3. Bmc

Bmc New Member

i don't think an IGF nomination/award would quite fit the bill.

4. soniCron

Indie Author

Well, it would meet 1, 3, 5, and 7, would it not?

5. HairyTroll

Original Member

I doubt the IGF or the game industry in general would in any way qualify an applicant for this visa. Take a look at the intent of the visa, namely to allow "aliens of extraordinary ability" to enter the US.

We're talking nobel prize, famous artist, olympic gold-medalist, famous actor etc.

Not someone who has written an article or two for Game Developer and perhaps received a prize from the IGF for a match-3 game.

6. Gilzu

Moderator Original Member

Here's a Q. for those who know: Doesn't participating in IGF is considered a violation of a turist visa? it is, after all a business-related showcase & publishing event

7. Ricardo C

Original Member

I was doing some more reading, and the USCIS site states this, regarding the Nobel prize:

(the requirements I quoted in the OP follow this paragraph).

It still reads as though an award for excellence in one's field WOULD count. And some of the examples of visa recipients I've read about include a dance teacher from Asia who was accepted because it was determined she would enrich American culture with her experience. She was approved in under three weeks, too. Not exactly a world-class athlete, scientist or entertainer.

But I guess we won't know unless someone tests it. Gabriel? Andy? Cliffski? :D

8. Jay_Kyburz

Original Member

Why would you want to live in America?

Serious Question BTW. I've been living there for 3 months and and can't see why anybody would want to move there.

9. soniCron

Indie Author

Well, it depends on where you're living. Where are you living?

10. mahlzeit

Original Member

What is not extraordinary about that? It's not like everyone is capable of getting articles published or writing a prize-winning game (match-3 or not). ;)

11. sparkyboy

Original Member

In my bitter experience, The normal 'tourist visa' or the simpler 'Visa waiver' would allow you to practice your usual business on American soil.....you just can't apply for ANY KIND OF job,immigrate or change your status!!!!!!
    So you are not in violation of the visa/waiver as pertains to business!!

Trust me I know from bitter experience. I have the necessary paperwork from Homeland security themselves!!!
    Man that sure was an eye opener I can tell you!!!;)

Brrrrrrrr......Blighty sure is cold this time of year eh!!!!!:p

All the best

Mark.

12. steve bisson

Original Member

the thought of having to go trough the security measures alone is enough to discourage me to go to the usa again... nice people . amazing landscapes , fun cities but the way they handle security... way too much for me... i guess they have "issues" ;)

13. Andy

Original Member

Kidding Ricardo?! I love my country and love every moment being here! It's so... native... :D
    This is probably the question for cliffski... :p

REM: Pardon Clif!!! Just kidding - nothing personal. OK? GB is probably good country too.... ;)
    REM1: Talking about US. I have found it pretty nice country. Awesome peoples. But this is all another questions really. I couldn't imagine to live there. And sure thing this all is too personal to give such recommendations to anybody else.

14. Grey Alien

Indie Author

When I'm an Alien (Grey one) and wouldn't mind moving to America, somewhere HOT for a while and make games, just for something different really, so the list is encouraging.

15. papillon

Indie Author

I'm more curious about what you'd need as an indie developer to qualify as a Self Employed Artist for Canadian immigration.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/business/self-1b.html

It doesn't seem to be a terribly popular category, as most webpages devoted to Canadian immigration ignore it completely and focus on Skilled Worker or Entrepreneur status. Also, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of official cutoff points for how famous or how rich you must be. I expect an IGF award would make it easy. Otherwise, it *sounds* like all you need is to prove that you make enough money from games to support yourself and you can talk the talk of being an artistic asset to the country. :)

16. Ricardo C

Original Member

Trade places with me for three months and you'll see why the idea is appealing to me.

"Interactive Media Development" (the category that includes game devs) is classified as an "applied sciences" career, so it's not eligible for the self-employed category :(

17. papillon

Indie Author

Yeah, but I'm a one-girl-band doing art, music, and writing as well as programming. I just have to be *convincing*. :) Someday.

18. Vorax

Original Member

Being from the UK, being in software, art and music - I bet you would have no problems getting into Canada. Just being from the UK alone is a big head start here. We still love visits from the queen and have a governor general -we were part of the common wealth after all :)

Canada is alot like the States with a few differences; minus the hand guns - up a few personal freedoms (gay marriages, toplessness allowed on beaches in some provinces, lower drinking age, looser marijuana enforcement, etc.... allot like most of Europe actually) - higher taxes - better beer - instead of standing behind our politicians we pretty much despise them as soon as they are elected :D

#18 Vorax, Feb 28, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  19. sparkyboy

Original Member

@Vorax

What is the tax and social charge situation in Canada for a solo indie enterprise for example?
    Would deportation from the United States to the UK have any bearing as regards to the Canadian immigration system?

I ask because I have no idea how closely tied the two countries are except for trade links! Thanks in advance Vorax.:)

All the best

Mark.

20. papillon

Indie Author

(I'm not from the UK, I'm from the US. My husband is British and I'm in the middle of getting British citizenship. However, England is a shitty place to live when you are DIRT POOR, so I am always looking for other options. OTOH, neither of us can drive, which could be a problem in nice cheap parts of Canada.)

Immigration is sort of becoming an outdated concept in my eyes. With the internet and all, ordinary people have friends all over the world, and it's annoying to have to fight through piles of red tape to visit or join them. Why *shouldn't* I be able to travel to wherever I want? :)

One of my best friends from high school has landed herself in Australia now...

#20 papillon, Feb 28, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2006