Can i make a REAL good game by myself ALONE?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by sunxvogy, Aug 9, 2007.

1. HairyTroll

Original Member

That's what makes these individuals special is that they produce games. They wouldn't be especially special otherwise.

2. tbandrow

tbandrow New Member

I write all of my stuff myself...

I think there's something to juggling all of the creative and technical balls to produce a consistent work that is mine and mine alone.

I enjoy it. Will I necessarily be able to do everything that a team can do? No, I won't. I don't expect to write Doom III by myself. But I do believe that I can marshal all of the various pieces sufficient for me to achieve whatever statement that I want to achieve. Improving myself or exploring in a new area is part of the overall artistic process.

3. bvanevery

bvanevery New Member

I've met a fair number of people who have both programming and creative talent. They aren't the norm though. As far as I'm concerned, they're special. Go ask in your favorite programmer geek crowd how many people are also gifted at visual art or music or writing or whatever. You're always going to find some, but it's never going to be a ton of 'em. Unless you're working at a company that actively recruited them and is paying to keep them. Most programmer geeks really don't have these creative skills and couldn't paint / sing / write their way out of a paper bag.

Now, a person who can wear many hats, and harness all those abilities to produce a game, is indeed an especially special person. Few are born that way. It'll take most "special people" years to learn how to balance all those skills, so that they become "especially special people."

4. HairyTroll

Original Member

OK, Ok I agree with you. My statement was too broad. 'Game developers' who cannot finish a game are not particularly special 'game developers'.

5. Spiegel

Spiegel New Member

Sorry about this sort of flame or something in your post ... Its just that any of us have seen A LOT of posts saying:

"OMyGad I HAVE TEH BEST IDEA FOR A MMORPG THAT WILL BE SO MUCH BETTER THAN WOW, I just need programmers, artists and everyone else to work for me for free to help me make this game, we could do this in a week... I have a pc at home that could be used as a server... contact me after 5 PM when I arrive home from high school and... (insert more ignorant/innocent remarks here)".

Most people don't realize that making a game is a long way down the road from talking about making one... I didn't as well :D... its hard... harder than that believe me... even for simple games...

Doing a AAA title is nowhere near possible for a single guy... want to make a game with 300 different enemies? you'll probably end up with 3 only, super AI? you'll end with PacMan AI, state of the art 3D graphics, models with zillion polygons? you'll probably end up with a box chasing spheres around a flat surface... ;)

My personal experience says... you want to make games... you found the best forum there is, pick up your favorite programming language (I recommend JAVA for beginners ), pick up a free graphic engine for that language (jMonkeyEngine for example), mess a bit around, by then you could search some physics engine and sound libs and put them in as well... start small but consistent ( don't be like me ), finish your games (again don't be like me) and ALWAYS BE PROUD OF YOUR WORK (guess what.. don't be like me again :D )

6. Nikos Beck

Nikos Beck New Member

Oh yeah! My attempt at at FPS had ONE enemy as a black cube with a red top and their size was fully customizable. Their AI was moving in circles with no collision. I started with a flat surface but broke it down into a grid with a simple heightmap.

It was more fun making it than playing it.

So, one person can make a whole game. It just might not be any good.

#26 Nikos Beck, Aug 10, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  7. moose6912

moose6912 New Member

I tried to do my own game once years ago. Back then, I was 17 and had 6 months of C (Not C++) programming experience. I attempted to create a RPG which I hoped that I could complete within 2 months. But within 4 weeks of being developer cum artist cum tools developer cum story writer. I caved in to reality and figured out that I could never do a commercial quality RPG with only myself.

8. bvanevery

bvanevery New Member

Lotta project management to expect from a 17 year old. I'm still figuring things out as a 37 year old.

9. moose6912

moose6912 New Member

Call it youthful naivety. I call it a hard lesson in realism ;)

10. mooktown

Original Member

Anything is possible just as anything is edible.
    You wouldn't eat glass though, would you?

11. bvanevery

bvanevery New Member

Edible means "fit to be eaten." "Anything is edible" is false. Similarly, one might argue that "Anything is possible" is false.

12. voxel

voxel New Member

Everyday Shooter - soon to be on the Playstation Network, I believe.

What about Toribash?

N - is two people. Could have been one.

13. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Can you make a real good game by yourself? Sure. Are the chances good? That depends on a lot of little things... little things that may have nothing to do with skill level at all.

14. mooktown

Original Member

that's the last time I paraphrase Willy Wonka!

please do...

15. bvanevery

bvanevery New Member

All you need is one counterexample, a single thing that's impossible.

So here's one. I can't suck my own d***.

16. mooktown

Original Member

That is your failing, it's not impossible to me... ;)

17. bvanevery

bvanevery New Member

Doesn't matter. I can't do it, and only one counterexample is needed.

18. mooktown

Original Member

not with that attitude you can't :)

19. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

You've tried? o_O

20. princec

Indie Author

Who hasn't?

I'll get me coat.

Cas :)