Can i make a REAL good game by myself ALONE?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by sunxvogy, Aug 9, 2007.

1. sunxvogy

sunxvogy New Member

Can i make a REAL good game by myself ALONE?

Is there any single indie game developer making game by himself alone??

Did you make some success?

2. papillon

Indie Author

How the heck can we possibly know? We don't know you or what your skills are. Here, have a magic 8-ball, it'll be more useful.

There are several of us who don't have any full-time employees or coworkers. That doesn't mean we have to do everything ourselves - art and music can be purchased.

3. Spiegel

Spiegel New Member

Sure there are... but the question is.... do you think you can do a game alone? really? do you actually believe 100% in your capabilities, and do Complex programming, graphics, textures, sounds, music, 3d Art and models, publish your game, set up a site, spendding lots of hours alone coding and creating a piece of art?

Its not something you want to do alone, at least not for me ...

I have a computer science degree, I draw since I was a toddler, and I can compose some decent music/sounds for games, and leaning how to use Blender to created 3d models, but would I want to do all of that alone? NEVER!!! Thats why I have another computer engineer along with me and looking for a full time artist, and still have the problem of the music... average music is not enough at least by my standards...

You may receive more money alone, but if you really want to do it by yourself at least buy art and sounds from other people and make the rest by yourself... or you'll probably go nuts...

But that's my humble opinion... its not worth much...

4. princec

Indie Author

Wrong forum... take it to gamedev.net.

Cas :)

5. Spiegel

Spiegel New Member

HECK !!! I was thinking in saying this, then I remembered the 11. commandment "Thou shalt not flame in web forums... too much"

OHHH and by the way if you think a GOOD game like in a AAA title... the word is NO!!! You cannot...

First do a Tetris clone (learn the game cicle), then a breakout clone(read levels from files), a mario bros clone(create a level editor), then a pacman clone(first "advanced" AI), after that try a doing a small game that incorporates everything mentioned...

Learn your game tools, allways finnish your games and then ask yourself that same question...

#5 Spiegel, Aug 9, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  6. sunxvogy

sunxvogy New Member

Ok, thank you all and let me breathe... :)

Now I know that. But where can i purchase good music and 2D graphics?

Could any 1 suggest me some websites and support Paypal or credit card?

Thanks~~

7. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

Q: IS it possible for a single developer to do a good game all by himself?
    A: Check out ludum dare.

'Nuff said. =)

8. MedievalElks

MedievalElks New Member

Why aren't you Googling for this stuff yourself? And before spending money on graphics and music, why not develop a game with dummy graphics and no music and see if it's worth spending dough on.

9. lakibuk

Indie Author

10. moose6912

moose6912 New Member

Why not?Chris Sawyer created Rollercoaster Tycoon by himself and using a freelance artist and a freelance musician for sound :)

11. MedievalElks

MedievalElks New Member

So, by himself with two other people then?

12. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

There are examples of devs who work alone and produce great work. But to do that sort of thing you have to be one of those special individuals who can do art, code, sound, music etc... A lot of indies started out this way and eventually started working with artists and other people down the road. Whether or not YOU can do it... well who can say. But it's not out of the realm of possibility for a single person to make a good or even a great game.

13. Infinite Element

Infinite Element New Member

Possible? Sure, I'm making games alone right now, though I may be going down the road svero mentioned. Likely? No.

14. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I wrote Hole in One by myself.

It took about 8 months to write and was released in 2001 as a boxed product, available in games stores across the UK. Its been said a number of times that it was one of the best 2D golf games available.

15. moose6912

moose6912 New Member

I assume that he was asking about himself being the developer and outsourcing art and music. I can't remember a real good commercial game create by 1 person who was developer/artist/musician all rolled into one.

16. papillon

Indie Author

... the original Cute Knight build was pretty much just me, although once I got some money I promptly hired artists to do the deluxe version and be a little less ugly. :)

while I can draw and pixel and score MIDI to at least some extent, I'd rather not! at least, not all of it...

17. Agent 4125

Indie Author

If you can't find the answer to those questions alone, then no, you won't be able to create a game alone.

18. sunxvogy

sunxvogy New Member

Okeeeeeey...

get it...

19. bvanevery

bvanevery New Member

We can tell just by his asking that at present, he cannot. If he could, he would just go do it.

Apply yourself, however, and in the future, yes, anything is possible.

Myself, on my indie journey I got distracted by certain passions for core technology. Fortunately, one of those passions is now making me money. A number of 'em didn't. Figuring out how to concentrate on actually getting a game done can take a long time. But at least there can be lucrative stepping stones along the way, if you don't insist on games being the be-all and end-all of everything you do.

20. bvanevery

bvanevery New Member

And a difficulty with being one of those "special individuals," is you can easily get distracted and bogged down with one of those hats you're wearing. Getting distracted by your brilliant code, or your brilliant art, is not producing a brilliant game.