Can freeware + advertisement make money?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by dogzer, Nov 10, 2005.

1. dogzer

Original Member

Anyone know how much money putting advertisiemnt on your website can give you? It must make some money. If you have done it, can you give me an idea of how much can you make? (depending on traffic on your website, and what do you advertise too)

Also, what requirements do you need in order to be able to advertise. Are you offered to advertise on your website sometimes? or you have to offer your service to someone else? do you get money per click, or some %? how does it work?

2. Robert Cummings

Original Member

People looking for free games don't strike me as people wanting to buy stuff. I think they will be numb to ads...

3. Christian

Original Member

People walking on the street see advertisements, even if they dont want to buy theyr products in the first place, people surfing the internet dont necesarily want to buy things but still see adverticements, so adverticements in games doesnt appear strange to me...

I think that to make adverticements in games, one needs to design a specific game to the same target as the adverticement/s, so for example, a car game for car companies, or a restaurant/cooking game for restaurant adverticements, etc etc.

Edit: Besides, a free good game is irresistible for downloaders...

4. mahlzeit

Original Member

You don't need to put the ads in the games, just on the website. Google Adsense is easy and simple to set up. For many other ad networks you need to have a minimum number of visitors to your site every month. That's key anyway: getting many visitors to your website. Conversion rate for freeware with website ads is much lower than the "standard" 1% for downloadable shareware.

A freeware game that is a novelty, like the penguin smashing game from a while back, will probably bring in a lot of visitors once word-of-mouth breaks loose. But once the novelty wears off, the number of visitors will drop too.

I set up a site with free games and Adsense a while back but I have done zero maintenance or promotion on it since then, so my own experience with this is limited.

5. baegsi

Original Member

Think of Moorhuhn - made tons of money (at least here in Germany). It was an advergame, but nobody remembers the product anymore because the fame of the game was much more than the product (was it Jim Beam?)

You can always make money with traffic (how much is another question).

#5 baegsi, Nov 10, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  6. Omega

Original Member

-$100,000 to positive $10,000,000,000,000,000

7. gpetersz

Original Member

Actually.... isn't it the adware concept? I think it might works best if you make some really good looking game for a big brand. Like "CoolSpot" for 7Up, and it is funded by that brand.