C++ on Android, is it possible ?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by vbovio, Aug 18, 2011.

1. vbovio

vbovio New Member

what the title says..
    I want to know if it is possible to develop C++ OpenGL based games on Android, and if there is any penalty or cautions to consider..
    thanks!

2. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Fully possible, that's how we were able to port Great Little War Game so easily. You want to look into the NDK.

No gotchas for me, certainly not the "you need java" gotcha that's finally dying off. :) The sound libs are a bit shit, but everything else is as you'd hope - a thin layer of java to get started and then you're off.

#2 Applewood, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  3. vbovio

vbovio New Member

that's great to know, thanks a lot Applewood!

4. Four

Four New Member

Yes fully possible. And sound is in OpenAL, which you can do all in C++, as its OpenAL has been ported.

Loading of assets would probably be done in Java with the data passed back into C++.

5. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

But buggy - that's one of the options I was referring to. I'm sure they'll get it all fixed but we're aiming to release in a week or so, so we went under the hood ourselves. (Which all backs up my constant promotion of roll your own.)

Loading sound assets on the java side took a ridiculously long time also. Not sure why, possibly user error but there's not much room for that given the options available. We loaded them as a chunk of binary and passed a pointer in the end.

6. princec

Indie Author

I'm not surprised Oracle are so furious with Google for screwing Java over so badly with all this, though it is really their own fault for refusing to license it to them on half-reasonable terms.

Cas :)

7. jcottier

jcottier New Member

It is such a good move... Allowing coders to port their existing code very quickly. It's very likely that I'll be porting my c++ lib to android this september. I hope, I won't pull the few remaining hair from my head to make this work :)

I wish Microsoft was letting us to use c++ on their phones... What a dump mistake from them.

JC

8. barrygamer

Original Member

Theres a c++ port of cocos2d which runs on ios and android - http://www.cocos2d-x.org/.
    I haven't used it myself, I still use the obj-c version.

9. MadSage

Original Member

I ported a C++/OpenGL game from iOS to Android in about 6 weeks - my first ever Android project! I was so glad I wrote an OpenGL renderer for the iOS version because it made the process much easier. Even most of the iPhone textures just worked (with the exception of pvrtc compressed textures). Most of the problems came from getting used to the crappy emulator and it's quirks, and learning how to write make files again. I also had to learn a bit of Java, but that was easy enough. The biggest piece of Java code was for sound. That worked fine for me. I've just started a second port, and it looks like it will be near complete in a few days, even though it's a massive project.

10. gamayun

gamayun New Member

JNI is definitely the way to go on android. I just ported the game engine DreamGame from www.dream-up.eu
    Once the core compiled successfully, I just had to add a wrapper to the main functions (init, gameLoop, playSound etc.) that'd "talk" to the main (and thin) Java skeletton.
    I had to compile also and link the openAL lib for 3D sounds (see this blog to do the same: http://pielot.org/2010/12/14/openal-on-android/ ) and zlib for zip files.
    The main problem was to play ogg files from openAL, I have to admit I still haven't figured out how to do (all my attempts with android.c in openAL failed) so I use Java and a MediaPlayer for background music.
    Except this, everything was quite easy. I am now publishing games using this game engine, 4 so far (You can have a glimpse at them on my blog: http://androidgamedeveloper.blogspot.com/