Bubble Blitz Online

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by BinaryMoon, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I think igLoader looks pretty slick, but (out of curiosity) what does the "ig" sand for ?

2. Indiepath.T

Original Member Indie Author

I think we were talking about different files. There should not be a .dll in the root, I will check the installer, most likely the issue is there.

TIm.

{EDIT} Yep it was the installer, you probably don't have Opera Installed.

3. Savant

Original Member

No, no Opera. :)

4. mooktown

Original Member

that would be an element missing from most pc's :)

5. jankoM

Indie Author

Oh no, please Indiepath don't say it means independent, because we already heard lectures from Dan about the meaning of independent developers, independent games but we haven't yet of independent game loaders. (Just joking Dan :p NHF )

//after papillon's post below: I fixed mistakes, you see papillon sometimes fighting back is worth it. I just hope I didn't make even more mistakes in this P.S. than I fixed above. ;)

#25 jankoM, Jan 10, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  6. papillon

Indie Author

dent! dent! independent!

(Sorry. The net is slowly eroding my spelling skills by throwing so many mistakes at my eyes all the times. I must fight back! :) )

7. Indiepath.T

Actually it's latin but I feel too much of a geek to post it.

8. BinaryMoon

Indie Author

Like I said before - if nobody uses the plugin then no-one will ever see another game using it - someone has to be first. I fancied doing something different and getting my game online without rewriting it in flash/ director seemed like a good thing to try.

9. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

Difference is with Flash and Shockwave (and even less widespread plugins such as Virtools), the plugin install is more integrated into your browser. You basically get a prompt (that's usually VeriSigned) and you just click a button that says, "Install". It doesn't require any further thought or effort on my part. Where as with igLoader, I get a standard file download prompt and your instructions say I have to remember the folder where I downloaded the file. It also doesn't clearly mention how big the size is so I don't know what I'm getting into. It could be a 2-3MB file for all I know.

I think you should follow the method Raptisoft uses with their HamsterBall web demo. They have simple clear instructions and you get an ActiveX prompt which is VeriSigned. You just click "Yes" on the prompt and you're ready to go.

Okay, I'll check out the downloadable version now.

10. Chris Evans

Okay downloaded the game. It ran a tad bit faster, but still slow overall.

This machine is pretty crappy overall so don't worry about it too much. It's just I didn't think it should have too much problem running a puzzle game...

11. Indiepath.T

We can deliver the plugin this way, you have the option and I provide the digitally signed .cab file for that purpose. The drawback is that it will only automatically install in IE, there is no automatic installation method for Firefox or other Mozilla based browsers. To provide a consistent customer experience you must use a method similar to the one utilised by Binary Moon. The Raptisoft plugin is IE only so they only have to support one browser.

I provide the following files :-
    • Digitally Signed .cab file (IE Only)
    • Digitally Signed .xpi file (Mozilla Browsers)
    • Digitally Signed install file (All browsers)
    I can only advise, it is up to you how you present the plugin to your visitors.

12. Chris Evans

I see...

Maybe you should provide a browser detection script? If the javascript/php script detects an IE browser, then show the digitally signed version. Otherwise, give a standard download link for all other browsers.

IE is still used by a great majority of internet users, so I think it's important to show the VeriSigned prompt whenever possible for those users.

13. Indiepath.T

Hi Chris,

I supply the Javascript for detecting what version of igLoader is installed (but that's now irrelevant) and what version of the activeX control is installed, if any. I don't supply the php but I so have the scripts to hand if people need them.

14. soniCron

Indie Author

Or, as I like to say: There are no "ants" in independent, but there are in my pants.