BritishIndie.com goes live

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by zoombapup, Jul 21, 2009.

1. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Hey all.

Ok, I know its a bit lame pimping a blog/site etc here. So I'll keep it brief.

I just got BritishIndie.com up and running. Currently its just the news site, I'm working on the forums this week.

There are some dozen or so interviews in the pipe, most are ready to go, others are in the editing phase etc. I'm going to try and post them every two weeks or so. Gives each interviewee a bit of exclusive time on the front page etc.

I'll be integrating the game sales page sometime next week, so that affiliate sales can fund the server costs and eventually hopefully we can work out some method of hooking in purchases as part of forum signup. Right now thats a bit tricky.

In case you dont understand what britishindie.com is, its a site about british indie development. So its very niche :)

Just thought some of you might like to know is all. Look forward to interviews with some regulars on here too.

2. Oddbob

Oddbob New Member

Just a heads up, typo in the interview request news.

Other than that, nice and clean. I like.

3. zoombapup

Thanks, fixed.

BTW: I'm looking for people to interview. Double hint :)

I like your war **** title btw. Very nostalgic, I remember playing games like that on the old atari's :)

4. mrkwang

mrkwang New Member

Let's meet later, w/ Korean Indie. :)

5. Oddbob

Oddbob New Member

Yeah, sure :)

Want to drop me a line at rf001g8432 AFETCHINGHAT blueyonder.co.uk only without the headwear?

I'm more than happy to bung my hat in the ring. Metaphorically, obviously.

6. m3xican

m3xican New Member

Interesting project, I'm looking forward to read the next interviews! And in the meanwhile I've started to spread the news on twitter, maybe few more people will know about it. ;)

I was just wondering if starting a new indie forum makes sense, aren't TigSource and Indie Gamer enough?

7. zoombapup

Thanks for the promo :)

About the forum, its a good question. My feeling is that TIGsource has a lot to offer, but has quite a different bias than I'm looking for. They cover a lot of experimental games, which is great, but seem to be less focussed on making a living at developing them.

I dont think the various forums are competing, for instance indiegamer has always been one of the forums I visit regularly, but it has a very particular focus on casual games and flash games right now that doesnt float my boat too much.

Basically, I want a nice little forum that feels like home, which has gamers and developers who are a bit more informed and intelligent. Which means a pretty hefty moderation regime to prune away anyone who isnt going to offer something useful to the community. Plus its going to have a very british bias (naturally) that keeps it unique. I want to focus on the development of unique games (i.e. not necassarily portal fodder) and how it works when based in Britain, which lets face it isnt the most supportive of countries or the cheapest to make a living developing games.

Just want to give it a try.

8. Sharpfish

Original Member

Very good.. maybe in another 4 years I can be on there somewhere :)

9. tolik

Original Member

Next interview: Jeff Minter, then Jon hare, then featurette on Darlings, some QWAK... Oh wait, looks like I'm reading retrogamer.net!

10. wazoo

Original Member

Does membership require physically operating on Her Majesty's Isles, or do you accept Indies who are "British in spirit"? :)

11. zoombapup

I've got one brit living in NZ and one american/canadian? living in the UK. So its not that strict. What is "british in spirit" exactly? :)

12. m3xican

m3xican New Member

You're welcome. It's an interesting project and I'm happy to support it, for what I can.

Ok, that makes sense. I think the same about TIGS and IG, they are not competing, I was just wondering how BI forum could be different from both.

Probably shopping at Tesco and getting drunk on Friday night... ;)
    Both checked :D

13. wazoo

Original Member

heh. Maybe just more a case of "British Envy"..:D

It sounds a bit silly now that I read it back, so I'll retract my inquiry and just enjoy the site. :)

14. Cevo70

Cevo70 New Member

So just to confirm - we can still participate on the soon-to-be forums even if the closest to being British is my love of booze, enjoyment of Zero Punctuation, and use of the word "rubbish?"

I feel like I meet the other criteria (even if low on the totem pole), and I am chock full of community spirit.

15. zoombapup

Well, I'm going to put together an "honorary brit" set of interviews :) given that at some point we're going to run out of active brits and given that some other non brits are actually pretty cool too.

As for the forums, anyone can join, posts will be heftily moderated and users will be invited to buy a game from one of the interviewees as a gesture of support. Ideally I'd like to make it a requirement, but thats proving difficult.

At the end of the day, I think mostly its about having a sense of humour and having a shared love of some fairly british quirks. Thats not to say other people dont share those quirks (weirdly enough, I met a great bunch of guys at Timegate studios in houston,Texas who had a great sense of humour very much like us Brits).

Of course, using the word "awesome" will bring an immediate kick/ban :)