BREAKING: Big Fish sues iWin!

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by soniCron, May 18, 2007.

1. soniCron

Indie Author

"In a lawsuit that is sending ripples through the once-friendly online casual games industry, a Seattle company called Big Fish Games Inc. is suing a California competitor called iWin Inc. for stealing trade secrets and other confidential business data.

"The suit, filed May 8 in U.S. District Court in Seattle, alleges that iWin employees used stolen or counterfeit log-in IDs and passwords to gain access to the computer system of Macrovision Corp., a company that handles copyright protection and online sales for Big Fish."

Does anyone have a print subscription to Business Journal that can tell us more?
    http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2007/05/21/story2.html?hbx=

Is this the first major lawsuit of the casual games industry? Has the industry reached its breaking point? Will we see more lawsuits begin to come out of the woodwork, as developers and publishers learn they can make more money hoarding patents and pursuing copyright lawsuits? Or are we set to become a bunch of dirty pirates, left to steal more than just game ideas from our neighbors?

2. Matthew

Indie Author

3. Andy

Original Member

"The suit, filed May 8 in U.S. District Court in Seattle, alleges that iWin employees used stolen or counterfeit log-in IDs and passwords to gain access to the computer system of Macrovision Corp., a company that handles copyright protection and online sales for Big Fish."

Why they not sue Macrovision if so? :)

4. James Gwertzman

James Gwertzman New Member

it's not macrovision's fault; the suit alleges that a former employee of Macrovision stole some usernames & passwords when he left to go to iWin, and used those usernames & passwords at iWin to steal sales data about Big Fish Games. As soon as Macrovision discovered the theft they notified Big Fish Games (and other companies that might have been affected).

5. gamezebo

Original Member

6. soniCron

Indie Author

Thanks, Joel! :)

7. Sybixsus

Original Member

Am I the only one wondering why Macrovision aren't sueing IWin too? I would have thought the damage done to their reputation wasn't inconsequential here, having had to contact all the affected businesses they work with and now having their dirty laundry aired in public.

8. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

There were many companies who were allegedly victimized including my own so I am sure this is just the start depending on how the facts shake out.

9. Andy

Original Member

1. Why not that former employee is sued?
    2. Why they fired him if he is so clever? :)

10. Andy

Original Member

Am I only one who is wondering:
    1. Why that former employee doesn't sure Big Fish for their loosy business when they should fire good third part of the company and pose like "this is OK, dude!" (Do we all still remember that autumn times?)
    2. Why IWin doesn't sue Macrovision because their protection system isn't well enough to be able to discount not actual passwords?
    3. Why IWin doesn't sure Big Fish for not doing the actions according to issues mentioned at point 2?

11. Tom Gilleland

Original Member

Macrovision/Trymedia probably makes money from iWin, so it's better for them to stay out of it and let the portals fight it out. That way they save money on their lawyers and limit image exposure. Plus they are so busy making their DRM software so secure and unhackable. :rolleyes:

-Tom

12. Sybixsus

Original Member

That's pretty much what I was thinking, although I was concerned I was just being a bit cynical.

13. Snooker

Original Member

Gosh, I don't think anyone on this board could ever be considered cynical! ;)

14. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Employee left Macrovision
    Employee goes to iWin
    Employee while at iWin goes into the several accounts at Macrovision and downloads confidential data

Clearly, the best course of action would be for the various parties to sue the perpetrator for damages. Presumably they will also pursue thier employer because it seems like there is some case to be made to say that the individual was acting on the part of their employer. But presumably that will come out in court.

Court isnt a nice place, trust me on this :)

I suppose you could at a pinch, sue macrovision for not securing customer data from employees (i.e. under some form of data protection act).

But imagine doing business where every time an employee leaves they have to tell customers to update all passwords.

The weird thing is, how did the employee get those passwords in the first place? I mean, arent they encypted even from the employee?

15. princec

Indie Author

Glad to know all that hard-earned money the portalmonkeys are making for the portals is going to be wasted on lawyers now :)

Cas :)