BMT Micro (an affiliate point of view)

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Digital Entanglement, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Digital Entanglement

I've taken a look at a lot of affiliate programs to see where I could find some quality games to advertise were. Not a lot of luck there. BMT Micro seems to be ok for some of the good ones as does Plimus, but I have a beef with BMT Micro (not a personal one):

Their backend for affiliates looks like crap.

And interacts like crap.

It is easily the worst interface since 1990 I have had to work with. While it is simply (get the link, get paid) it's awful to navigate, the filter and search options aren't worth anything and it's just a very archaic looking design.

Does the developer side look any better?

2. papillon

Indie Author

Their affiliate side doesn't look fancy and isn't the best at searching but it works an awful lot better than Plimus' affiliate side IMO, which was, last I checked, 'upgraded' into complete unusability. Even people who I knew were using Plimus, I could not run searches that would return their products, much less trying to find new games I wasn't already familiar with.

Admittedly I find plimus so frustrating that I haven't logged in in ages, they might have eventually made it less dreadful.

I care a lot more about function than shiny design when it comes to these things, although I do like the updates to earnings display that have been made to BMT Micro in the past year (there are now automatic weekly graphs when you log in). But yes, the dev side does look better than the affiliate one IMO. :)

#2 papillon, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  3. GolfHacker

GolfHacker Member

Unfortunately, no. It's gotten worse. I plan to switch to BMT starting with the pre-order release of Dirk Dashing 2 next month.

4. Digital Entanglement

Plimus isn't the best either. Commission Junction is honestly my favorite but there's not a lot of indie games there. A lot of bigger names with a hell of a lot lower percentages like EA who talks about earning "a generous 8.5% commission." That's an actual quote.

5. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

To answer your last question first, yes - the developer control panel is a totally different system.

I agree that the affiliate side could be improved in the areas you mentioned. We haven't done it yet because there is just a huge amount of work on the developer side.

What keeps us most busy are all the little side projects we get involved in with individual developers who need a little extra. I think this is really what makes us different than other processors.

Anyway, that's just a long winded way of saying we have x amount of work and y amount of time and since the affiliate program is tried, tested, and bug free in the areas that really matter (revenue splits, who gets credit, etc.) we've just elected to let it ride until we have time to revamp it.

6. Digital Entanglement

Very sorry, please don't take it personal.

It's just that these days many people, including myself, become wary when using something that deals with financials that doesn't have a clean interface. Have you considered working in small iterations on it? Adding a few polishes here and there will go a long way toward showing customers that while it isn't finished, it is being worked on.

7. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

No need to apologize.

After reading this thread I emailed Kim and Peter asking them to start inclining their minds towards the affiliate area. Tomorrow I'll put it on the board and put a completion date of "By the end of the year".

And like you suggested, maybe we can do it bit by bit. Anyway, I'm going to put it on my radar.

Right now what we're working on is adding a "gifting" option to our order forms so that someone can buy copies of a game for friends. I'm guessing it's about 50% complete.

8. papillon

Indie Author

Yay! (Yay gifting that is, since I've had people asking for it :) )

9. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I agree with the OP about the usability. The design is pointless since isn't something to show to USERS. But surely finding new titles is hard. What about a "What's News" listing all the new products in order of time, so affiliates can check the new games out, for example?
    And Plimus... lol. Is there still anyone using them on this board? There has been a mass-migration from Plimus to BMT like I've never seen in last year. But after ignoring all my complaint/suggestions, they sent me recently a questionary about why I left them :rolleyes:
    Yesterday wanted to log in and was FORCED TO CHANGE MY PASSWORD AGAIN. That's already a good reason not to use them anymore.
    And their IPN is broken, too.

10. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

Got it...

I wish the good fairy would pop in a pot of gold and about 5 developers who fully understood our system. :)

11. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I don't think is too hard to understand, but simply requires too many user actions (clicks/typing) to find what you're looking for, so once you improve that part I think will be good :)

12. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

I would still like a pot of gold though... :)

13. DaveGilbert

Indie Author

Thomas, it's because you post here and reach out directly to the indie community that sealed the deal for me and encouraged me to make the switch from Plimus to BMT. There's been plenty of Plimus bashing on this board (I've done plenty of it, lord knows). BMT might not have as many features, but they have always been accommodating and flexible when I need something very specific and they are always quick about implementing it. My customer support issues (and expired downloads!) have dropped to almost zero since making the switch.

14. princec

Indie Author

While you're looking to sell affiliated copies of games it might be considered possibly a conflict of interest if you're actually scoring games as such. I'd suggest a straightforward advertising model instead. I'd also suggest you use Project Wonderful ;)

Cas :)

15. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

Thank you Dave. Whenever I read a post like this I feel like saying, "Aw shucks...it was nothing."

We just try to do a good job, every day, as best we can and I think we do pretty good most of the time, though we have made our share of blunders for sure.

16. Digital Entanglement

How many people run BMT?

17. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

There are 7 of us who have worked together 10 years or more at BMT. Jenni and I worked together in the early 90's at another company and when I started BMT in 1992 she came with me so she and I have been together the longest (23-24 years).

We're really like a family - we've watched each other's kids grow up, deaths, weddings - you name it. It's kinda neat to look at old photos and compare them to how we look today.

We also have 4 other people familiar enough with how things work to bring on for special projects.

18. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

I meant to say there are 8 full time people and 7 of us have worked together more than 10 years. We hired Zachary 4 months ago and he's a keeper.

19. DaveGilbert

Indie Author

Just read more of the thread. Being able to "gift" stuff is a very common customer request! If you can have that done in time for the holidays, that would be a huge boon. :-D

20. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

Oh for sure... Next month at the latest.