Big Fish Game raise their prices?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Michael Flad, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Michael Flad

Indie Author

Hi,

just noticed in a newsletter from BFG about a pricechange for the gameclub membership - from 5.99€ to 7.99€.

Not a huge increase but still +33% - maybe I missed a thread, but so far I haven't read anything about this - any developers selling on BFG who got some info about this change?

At least it's a small move into the right direction.

2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Did they raise the prices also for US people? Otherwise, this is really a BAD move (raising prices only for europe).

3. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

All prices on BFG.de and BFG.fr are still the same. When the change is going to happen?

4. Michael Flad

Indie Author

"Wir möchten Dich ebenfalls wissen lassen, dass der Preis des Big Fish Game Clubs sich ab dem 24. Juni 2010 auf 7,99 € ändern wird. Der neue Preis wird sowohl einzelne Spielkäufe als auch die monatlichen Game Club-Abbuchungen betreffen."

That's the quote ... so the change should be active in a week and it's for the gameclub membership as well as single game purchases.

If noone got some info about this I fear it's only a local change - and maybe meant to compensate for the weak € instead of a real change :-(

5. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

What do you mean weak Euro? Euro is actually quite strong :D It's better to sell on European channels than International even after $ appreciation.

It just might be a test and if it proves successful they will propagate it onto other channels.

6. Michael Flad

Indie Author

Hm at the moment the exchange rate is about 1€ -> $1.22 while I remember times not that far in the past when it was more like 1€ -> $1.50 so their $ revenues from an €uro sale decreased by ~20%.

7. Jack Norton

Indie Author

And so? they are still making more money (since they're US based) with euro now!
    Europeans aren't stupid. If they see SAME IDENTIC GAME sold for $5.99 in US and 7.99 eur in europe (which is almost x2 price once converted to USD) they'll be pissed, trust me ;)

8. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Unless the game is translated to their native language :D

9. Spiegel

Spiegel New Member

Refresh my memory If I'm mistaken, back in 2000 didn't Amazon tried a similar stunt raising the price on certain consumers based on the data of their browser cookies?

Remind me again how that fared for amazon?

10. Wrote A Game or Two

Wrote A Game or Two New Member

Ding, ding ding! We have a winner. ;)

11. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Maybe for some is important, for me not (english is starting to be well known in France & Germany). And depends on game, I don't think plant vs zombies would benefit too much from translation :D

12. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

I'll second this :)
    (Just look what Steam does! Damn you steam! :D)

I don't see any Finnish translations :p

13. anpd

Indie Author

In Sweden we don´t have any dubbed tv or movies all is in their original language and we usually never get translated games (we just have to wait for the german/italian/french/spanish version is finished). I have bought some games from bigfish and allways from .com with dollar prices and as long as you speak english you can just go to bigfish.com and buy from there. It would be nice if they raised all their prices though :)

14. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Ah ok I didn't know you could still buy from europe in the .com site. That's fair then :)

15. Wrote A Game or Two

Wrote A Game or Two New Member

From your mouth to God's ear.... man, I hate doing localization.... ;)