BFG Affiliate Help

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by JGOware, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Jack Norton

Indie Author

yes that's really bad. If you affiliate my games you can be sure that will always use BMT, unless they go bankrupt :D

2. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Likewise. I also take advantage of BMTMicro's product cross linking feature so that any traffic you send to www.RustyAxe.com via your affiliate link that buys one of my games through BMTMicro gets you your commission, not just for the product that you referred.

3. BFGAP_MMei

BFGAP_MMei New Member

Big Fish Games Affiliate program comments

Hey all...just treading through this. The new program is based on a last touch model which is a huge improvement over the last program.

#23 BFGAP_MMei, Sep 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  4. Kola256

Kola256 New Member

Just a question to you, affiliates...

You are against the new affiliate system at Big Fish. So why don't you move your business to Trygames, iWin, ArcadeTown, or any other distributors with affiliate program? Or why don't you affiliate through payment providers, like Plimus, BMT Micro, or RegNow?

5. papillon

Indie Author

Who are you aiming that at? I'm pretty sure the people actively against the new affiliate program already did!

6. Kola256

Kola256 New Member

I am just curious, because I plan to create my own website based on affiliate programs and I'm currently looking for the most attractive offers. While searching through this forum I found out, that there are more people against BFG system than it's supporters. I am just curious if it is still profitable to work with BFG, or it's better to use alternatives...

7. lennard

Just about all of us on this forum have our own affiliate system so, in this venue, it would be most popular to sign with us directly. My details are here (basically you get 40% on all of my games):

http://www.rustyaxe.com/affiliates/index.php

Shameless plug aside, I do understand the desire to go through an aggregator - I personally miss the Reflexive system.

8. Escapee

Original Member

Same here, I'm still harboring on a glimmer of hope that reflexive affiliate system will one day be resurrected by a nobleman or internet messiah.

I went over to reflexive yesterday, they have updated content on their main page. Maybe that's the sign of the second coming....... :D

9. Kola256

Kola256 New Member

Thanks guys for replies. I've decided, that I will not give BigFish a try.

lennard - thanks for your link, I will apply as an affiliate within a month. Firstly I need to finish working on my website and plan a marketing campaign...

10. BFGAP_MMei

BFGAP_MMei New Member

Hey all...just reading through...why is it a few dislike the Big Fish Games Affiliate program?

#30 BFGAP_MMei, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  11. lennard

Is that aimed at me? I can't tell so just in case I'll provide arguments for going directly with Rusty Axe and anybody else like me who uses BMTMicro's system for cross-linking products. It's an elegant and simple system and I think all indie's with an affiliate system should be using it. One graphical link back to www.RustyAxe.com gets you my entire catalog. It's a store in a link. I believe the BMTMicro system refreshes cookies for 60 days every time a customer touches it and an indie. can set their own prices. In my case it means if a customer comes and buys a Financial Gurus Value Pack from my site, through your link, then you get 40% of a $29.99 (less BMT's 9%) sale. If you send another customer to me 367 days from now and they buy a Big$hot then you get 40% of $19.99.

12. papillon

Indie Author

Perhaps, but it's also perfectly logical for people who left the BFG affiliate program because they had problems with it and then found something that they liked better to promote that something instead. :)

I can't talk about the perspective of someone running a pseudo-portal packed with affiliate games; I sell mostly my own games and want to be able to add only a few rare things that fit well with my audience. Many of the things I want to sell are not available on BFG so it would be impossible for me to use that system by itself.

Under the old setup, on the rare occasion that I referred a new customer to BFG-style games I could enjoy consistent ongoing income from them, so it was worthwhile to keep up a couple of links. Now, even if I brought in a new customer I would keep credit for only a limited time. Combine that with the low prices at BFG and the numbers aren't likely to add up well for me, so I didn't go on with the new program.

#32 papillon, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  13. Maupin

Original Member

As someone who runs a pseudo-portal ;) , I've commented at length on the BFG affiliate program changeover.

Basically, it used to be a great affiliate program; now it's only good.

Those of us who really pushed the multi-tiered aspect of the original program got burnt badly when the 25% earnings from fellow affiliates we had referred disappeared completely overnight. That hurt me more than the "lifetime" earnings being downgraded to "year from first purchase" earnings.

Yes, my income is increasing month to month. But it's getting close to a year under the new program and I'm still not matching what I made previously.

#33 Maupin, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010