Beyond Negotiation

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Scarzzurs, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Scarzzurs

Scarzzurs New Member

Hey there :)

I'm a fairly new game developer currently working a on game project called Beyond Negotiation:
    [​IMG]
    Click the banner to go to my projects page for the game.
    Or click here for a direct download link

Direct Webstart links:
    Play with OpenGL pipeline.
    Play with the default pipeline.

The game has reached a stage where it should be playable on most systems and provide lots of fun, despite still being in development.

Quick game info overview:
    Platform: Windows, Linux, Unix and Mac.
    Players: 1
    Gameplay: Top down shooter split into stages.
    Controls: Custom, 4 directions and 1 mouse button.
    Screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    More screenshots

I have plans for more upgrades, stages, enemy types and powerups. But i'm always open to suggestions.
    I'd like to hear what you felt about the game, if it worked properly and what kind of improvements you might suggest. Generally all feedback, critism and comments are most welcome :)

This is my first post at these forums. I've tried to read the rules, so i hope i am not violating any. If so, please let me know so i can try to corret my mistakes. :)

- Scarzzurs

#1 Scarzzurs, Nov 6, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  2. krasse

krasse New Member

I have tested your game one time and I have the following comments:

* Addictive gameplay :)
    * The enemies behave in a good way I think
    * Simple graphics but it works
    * When I was using the mouse and clicked for every shot, I clicked outside the game window several times. It was annoying but then I realized that there was autofire...
    * The delay before any enemy appeared in each wave was to long.
    * The game hang after about 10 minutes (maybe I have an error log somewhere on my disk that you want to look at?)

Nice work!

3. Scarzzurs

Scarzzurs New Member

Hey krasse.
    Thanks for the comments. I'm glad they are so positive. Must mean i'm doing something right :)

I agree about the long wait. I think i'll cut it down to 3 seconds from the current 5 seconds wait. I just didn't want to rush new players too much.

It doesn't sound too good about the hang. If you tried the .jar version (Clicked the direct download link), you can start it in a terminal with the command:
    java -jar BeyondNegotiation.jar
    That should give you output directly in the terminal window. If you find an error this way, i'd be very happy to hear about it :)

- Scarzzurs

4. princec

Indie Author

Could do with a Webstart link (hint, hint).
    It is strangely addictive to play - I just wanted to upgrade my ship loads - and I know from experience that upgrading ships sells games so the more upgrade paths you can stick in there (without the tedium of actually having to choose different ships) the better I think.
    Not sure about the general graphical style though - seems to be a bit too spartan for its own good. I'd prefer good solid graphics for it I think rather than programmer art.

Cas :)

5. GnadeGames

Original Member

The game plays REALLY well.
    That being said, I think you need to decide on the scope of this game...you have a great free webgame here, but if you want to charge and sell the game you are going to need to invest in an artist. The graphic style is ok, but its too simplistic for a downloadable game. Either change the look of the graphics and add more detail/pixel art...or stick with the simplistic look and add more effects, colors etc. (see Everyday Shooter or Geometry Wars). There also needs to be more level variety, different galaxies, etc. to tie everything together in a "full version" package.

6. jeb_

Indie Author

With a name like that, you should probably work a little more on your game's logo... Ie, the name says "omg drama!" the logo says "welcome to my Excel sheet, in the future!" :D

Haven't played the game yet, I'm at work... will do when I get home!

7. aiursrage2k

Original Member

I liked the game. The only problem seemed to be that the difficulty did not ramp up as quickly enough.

8. Scarzzurs

Scarzzurs New Member

Hey all. Thanks a lot for all the replies. I've sorry i haven't resonded in a while, but i wanted to take your suggestions into development and test them before i started posting anything...
    Anyways, let me comment on your feedback :)

@princec:
    My website has java webstart links on the page. I added them here aswell, for convenience. Thanks for noting.
    About the upgrading. Before the game would run in circles without any change from playthrough to playthrough. I changed it so game speed increases by 10% each time, i am hoping it won't spoil your upgrade-fun. :)
    To make up for it i made another upgrade to the game: Laser Defense.
    I took your graphics style suggestion into account aswell, so the game now has all new raster graphics, please let me know what you think :)

@GnadeGames:
    Glad it works :)
    It seemed you and princec both wanted better graphics so i tried to make some improved raster style graphics instead. I'm afraid i can't afford an artist as i am still studying and writing my games on a sparetime basis...
    So i try to make the best graphics i can, although i can't say i'm that good at it.
    Anyways, please let me know what you think of the new version's style. :)

@jeb_:
    Yeah, it seems like i picked a rather cool name for the game. But as i explained earlier my graphical skills are limited and i can't afford to pay someone to do it for me.
    Thanks for pointing out the problem though, i will have to see what i can do about it :)

@aiursrage2k:
    Thanks for your suggestion. Could you specify when you felt the game got too easy. Balancing always seem like a problem when you've been play-testing your own game for hours and hours, so your feedback is most welcome :)

New version
    I took your feedback into account and made the following changes to the game:
    v0.17-v0.18
    • Switched to 'full' model-view-control for the game engine.
    • Changed overall graphics from vector style to raster style.
    • Added upgrade: Laser Defense
    • Gamespeed increase every time you play through all missions.
    • Ship gets graphics when you get the gun turret upgrade.
    • Enemies shed parts when damaged.
    • Smaller shots fired by gun turret, friendly and enemy turrets now have a trail.
    • Increased glow size of powerups.
    • Crosshair changes color when pointing at powerups and enemies.
    • Added new enemy type: GunPlatform.
    • Added new stage.
    • ...and there's probably something i forgot to write down....

- Scarzzurs

#8 Scarzzurs, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  9. princec

Indie Author

...searches back through thread for links...

You need to get your homepage URL in your sig ;)

10. princec

Indie Author

I'd add lots more enemies on screen at once and make them easier to blow up.

I wouldn't do the accuracy thing though - don't think it would be fun.

11. Scarzzurs

Scarzzurs New Member

Hey again. Sorry for not posting any replies in a while...
    Anyways:

@princec:
    Yeah, i have a couple of reasons for not doing the accuracy thing. So i won't do it. It was a good suggestion never-the-less.
    I did an update which should feature a bit more enemies among a lot of other things. I decreased their hp somewhat aswell :)
    (Btw. is it only me or did a post or two in here get deleted?)

New version
    The new version has a whole lot of changes since last change log entry, but i feel it is too much spam to paste in here. So instead i just want to say that Levani of Vel9 Studios made me some music for the game, and a couple of upgrades, enemies and stages made it into the game.

Sponsor
    I'm really interested in getting a sponsor for my game or something similar, but it seems that people reject such offers unless you are working on a flash game. I'm very interested in advice on this if possible...

Thank you all for your interest in my game :)

- Scarzzurs