Best cross-platform strategy for next years to come!

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by Jack Norton, Jul 31, 2011.

1. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Thanks. I saw Red Storm II was accepted with micro-transactions although players were appalled that the option to spend money was included. A half million daily players is a compelling reason to do a Newgrounds game but clearly I'm going to have to ponder if it makes sense to make a special version of any game to give away.

2. FiNiPa

Indie Author

@princec: What do you mean with Java only being for pc/mac/linux? What about Android? Our final school project (one year of length) will fortunately be to create an Android-App. I'm very happy to finally have a reason to start programming with Java and for the Android plattform ;) Now don't tell me Java wouldn't be an obvious choise..?

3. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Java is not an obvious choice.

JC

4. FiNiPa

Indie Author

Et pourquoie pas? (got some belgian roots ;)) Why wouldn't java be an obvious choice for Android? The SDK is in Java.

5. jcottier

jcottier New Member

I was talking about the OP initial question "bien evidement" :)

JC

6. FiNiPa

Indie Author

Ah bon, dac ;)

7. princec

Indie Author

It rather is, for Android. And it's a great choice for the three desktop download platforms. Just not so great beyond that.

Cas :)

8. electronicStar

Original Member

I'm finishing an android game with java (processing more precisely) and it's really smooth. Much easier to use than AIR for android for example (and better performances)

The only problem with java ATM is IOS. And just because steve Jobs is a megalomaniac a**hole.

9. FiNiPa

Indie Author

I did a little bit with Processing. It's very cool whilst not very preformant imho. Don't know if it's for games...

Did you use Processing with with the developing environment or did you integrate with Eclipse?

10. electronicStar

Original Member

I'm using the integrated environment (because I'm a bit of a masochist), but I'll switch to eclipse as soon as my project is finished.

11. FiNiPa

Indie Author

Oh yeah, it's all inside one class and easier at first, but Eclipse is great for Syntax and so on. I'm sure yu know better than I do. You have to take care of some quirks though. I rember a nice link hpow to use it with Eclipse, can't recall where though ;)