Bejeweled Twist released yesterday

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by James Gwertzman, Oct 29, 2008.

1. James Gwertzman

James Gwertzman New Member

Okay, so maybe PopCap isn't quite an indie anymore, but I still feel like we should announce the release of Twist yesterday here on the indiegamer forums. It's true that it took a long time to release, but the scope of the core team who worked on it (basically just a handful of people for most of its development) is still within the range of the indie scene, and i think we did some cool stuff in there.

You can download it from www.popcap.com. If you do check it out, be sure to play through the first 10-15 minute or so. A lot of the really cool stuff doesn't get unlocked until you've mastered the basics.

2. Julio Gorge

Original Member

¿All this fanfare and no Mac version on day 1? :(

Edit: looks pretty cool though, will be trying this out on a PC soon.

#2 Julio Gorge, Oct 29, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  3. Matthew

Indie Author

Congrats on getting it out! We actually saw the name years ago, back when we were working on a casual game with the same mechanic (noticed it during a trademark search). We eventually canceled the title, although ancient video of it is here: http://www.vimeo.com/2088783 . We discovered it was a hard mechanic to teach; I'm curious to see how you guys approached the problem...

4. Emmanuel

Moderator Original Member

It's really too bad that you guys didn't release Potion Motion. I still have the build and I remember your presentation at Bigfish in july, 2006 where we could have released the game as it was. I loved the art direction of Potion Motion and your particle effects work on Glow Worm were a definite early inspiration for us. At least you guys did benefit from your early casual market knowledge with Thediamondgames though.

BJ twist is interesting from a technical standpoint, using shaders and whatnot. It's 2008 so it's definitely a good time to use those at least optionally (Az2 is DX9 and we had zero issue with it). I hope it does well in any case. I like the art direction in peggle or potion motion much better but that's me. Obviously the space theme and looks wasn't an issue for the previous bejeweled.

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

5. Pogacha

Original Member

Buy a PC! :p

Maybe now is time to release it ;)

Congrats for the game.
    Another jewel for the bejeweled family.

6. Jack Norton

Indie Author

7. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Great Game

Congrats on the release. The game is really nice and I did enjoy the demo. The bombs are great, but what a nightmare to start at the begining when you lose. Casual gamers like me (yes I discover that I did became one) don't like this "hardcore" feature ;)

> We discovered it was a hard mechanic to teach

Yes, at the begining it was hard to get into it, but after 5, 10 minutes it was fine. From watching your video, it looks like in your game you could rotate left or right. This might be the reason why it was harder to get into. Having saying that, while playing BJ Twist, I wanted to be able to rotate anticlockwise when pressing the right mouse button.

JC

8. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

I am also interested to see the response to the game. Certainly the choice to only rotate to the right is one that will be questioned, but I strongly believe no-one does more usergroup testing than PopCap, so I'm sure it was the best way to go for the average user. Of course I myself am not average, so I curse it not being there ;).

I've always enjoyed the twisting mechanic, I first played it with Revolved, which I put in my Top 10 at GameTunnel when I first played it (like 3 years ago I think?) I really dug that game and still believe it was the best use of the mechanic, though BJTwist certainly does it well as did Enchanted Gardens and Spacebound to a lesser extent.
    Potion Motion was brimming with a fun style and might have been the best of the twist games if it had been released, but I can understand canceling the project. Though I like twisting myself, it does seem a rather limited play mechanic that isn't intuitive and often seems to offer low rewards for the mental strain (a.k.a. it's not super exciting).

From the few games that have used the mechanic in the past I'd say there is some good evidence it hasn't been a winning mechanic with the public, but if anyone can change that it's PopCap :).

9. Grey Alien

Indie Author

It doesn't install on my XP SP2 PC. The installer says halfway through that I should close any running copies of Bejewelled Twist (and the dialog title bar says "Uninstall" on it), then when I click OK it seems to carry on but at the end it says it has failed to install. I checked the folder and some files were there but the .exe doesn't run. Tried it to another drive (altered install settings), but still no luck.

10. princec

Indie Author

I like the game mechanic. Whole things rather too glitzy for me though!

Cas :)

11. mrkwang

mrkwang New Member

Playing for review at Pig-Min.

... Does Popcap have Monster workers? How come to make such a thing??? Not just basic logic, but also for every details of this game!

But not sure real casual gamers could enjoy it, because it's too tough to use that 'Spin'. (Or just I'm weak at playing game.)

12. Pogacha

Original Member

It detects your clones :p

Edit: Yes, this is the way how I release stress, and I'm full of it today :X.

13. tolik

Original Member

That's an interesting twist.
    CW/CCW is always confusing, takes like 10 minutes for brain to adapt, especially on a square field.
    No more time pressure, instead a lose condition as in Hexic.
    Absence of early "no more moves" is an expected move.
    Now you actually have a choice to build chains of your dreams or become greedy and aim for a combo. Or go for a multi-color sequence.
    Different players will find different enjoyable micro-goals.
    The game became much more strategic and applying of actual game skill became twice simpler than in original mechanic (which is more luck than skill). That have drastically changed in Twist, it's more of a skill game like Meteos, than luck game.
    I'm excited about Full HD and widescreen support.
    It made my macbook air overheat and go into standby.

The next step is adding an arcade element into bejeweled so you could move gems while stuff falls, I wonder if this is buried somewhere deep inside challenges.

The trial didn't look too compelling, but there are plenty of wow things:
    - Shaders are a true wow for casual players. Expect "my notebook blew up due to bejeweled!" or "overheating and standby!" though.
    - diffuse a bomb is a nice twist
    - the flying space dick ship sucks, but its simplicity is actually a casual wow
    - teasing of the player with Dodecahedron and other shapes between levels is too quick, there was a bug with missing textures on some of them (macbook air)
    - instant replay rocks though I wanted to press UNDO all the time inside due to crappy touchpad on macair

I'm really missing spinning gems on hover though... I've played too much Bejeweled though.

14. mooktown

Original Member

You have to feel welcome posting here! You began in the same way that every other indie has begun, for me at least, that's enough. Anyone who says otherwise is just being a twat. :)

You guys are like the Wiseman of a small village.. :p

#14 mooktown, Oct 30, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  15. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

What, nobody has released a clone yet? =)

16. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Well Saqqarah had the same mechanic as one of its 7 game modes didn't it? Although it came out first. Also it reminds me of a game called Geom by Indiepath.

17. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Heh, game clones obey the laws of quantum mechanics where cause and effect are only loosely connected and the effects can come before the cause.

Most people seem to think that zuma was an original.

18. Applewood

Depends on who you think your peers are. I'd say you're the very definition of indie to me - a company who makes proper money selling their own stuff, unlike the traditional "indie" who makes snake games and asks for feedback.

19. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I honestly think there are indies here that don't have 50+ employees and still manage to make something better than a snake game :D

20. Applewood

As long as they're making a proper living that's fine by me.

But it does rule out 99% of this board. (Myself included looking at shogi sales :( )