Banking can be a pain sometimes

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Adrian Lopez, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Adrian Lopez

Original Member

So I place an order for a pair of games via GOG.com and my bank decides to flag it as a suspicious transaction, causing my card to be blocked. I find out about the problem after a subsequent order through Amazon fails due to my card being declined, so I give them a call. They say they tried to reach me to confirm the transaction was legit, but I don't see any call from them registered on my phone.

Today I call them to complain and to have the block lifted and they explain that my order was placed on a weekend and therefore they weren't able to call me until today (which is true), but the problem is by today my card had already been blocked. I tell them I'd like to have been called prior to having my card blocked, to which they respond by saying they're trying to expand their operations to include weekends (apparently they couldn't wait until Monday to block my card). This "trying to" seems rather non-committal to me, so I ask them whether I'll have to call them in the future when placing an order on a weekend and they tell me the block is triggered only by certain kinds of transactions and if I want they can add GOG.com as an exception. That strikes me as missing the point, so I tell them I understand the need to confirm a transaction is legit but that I'd like to have been called prior to my card being blocked. I then ask for my complaint to be officially registered, but their lack of confirmation in that regard leads me to suspect it won't be.

I think I'll write the bank with my complaint, just to make sure it's registered. Had this happened to me while at a restaurant I'd be washing dishes, and had it happened while on vacation I'd be in even worse trouble. I understand they need to protect themselves from fraud, but why do I have to be the one to deal with all the hassle?

So there... I've vented. That's all. Thank you for listening. :D

2. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I'd grab some advice from the financial ombudsman first off.

They'll tell you the complaint process and timescales you must allow the bank to respond. If they don't, then the ombudsman will take the matter on themselves.

I did it with Nat West a couple of years back and got them to refund almost £100 in illegal bank charges which the bank had deemed "fair and transparent".

3. Nexic

Indie Author

Been dealing with this problem for years. 30% of the time when buying online I have to phone up and get the card unblocked, then retry the order. Massive pain in the ass, but they won't stop doing it.

4. Borundin

Borundin New Member

Thats odd. I have been buying things on the internet for more than 10 years and have only had that happened once! It was actually iTunes forcing me to add some VISA security question last year.
    Guess it's handled very differently from bank to bank (or country)?

5. Desktop Gaming

6. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

Wow. Change banks.
    I never get that. (I bank with cater allen, and smile)

7. dantheman363

dantheman363 New Member

Ya, I would change banks too if that happened to me regularly. That's a deal-breaker.

8. papillon

Indie Author

My bank does it occasionally, but not THAT often, and at least they answer the phones 24/7. (The last time they locked me it was because my husband was checking prices for things on a whole bunch of different sites to add up the total cost, then put through all those orders on all those sites within a minute. I don't blame the bank for thinking that was odd.)

9. lennard

I'm trying to pay an artist who doesn't have Paypal today. Western Union is the answer and J. said she has used it online before. Terrific, saves me a trip downtown. What a joke those guys turned out to be. After significant run around and a website that needs debugging I have been told my transaction can't be handled online and that I need to go find a real live agent. Wouldn't use these guys if I had a choice. Here's the email I just sent them:

I just sent you an email describing my travails with your website and phone service today. After all that I got:

Page Not Found

What does this mean?

The page you are looking for may have been deleted, may not exist, or there may have been a spelling mistake.

Here it is in a nut shell:

1. I made a website transfer. It failed and told me to call you guys. Did not provide a phone number with this message.
    2. I tracked down your phone # and called your company and got an automated voice system. Got stuck in a section that didn't let me get out. I called again. I hit * at some menu point and got the thing into a loop where the robot voice said yes/no for about 30 seconds. I was then transferred to a human agent. Unusual UI but hey, whatever works. I talked to a young woman named Earnest for awhile and answered all of her questions. The last one was my phone # which she could not verify. I've had this publically listed phone # for more than 6 years.

At this point I have to track down a human agent somewhere in my town. I would have been happy to do that in the first place but it seemed like your having a website would save me some time...

10. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Really, guys, sometimes I think you live in 19th century. How can you use checks or Western Union in 21st century? WU is so expensive, and not so convenient as said above. Why don't you find a bank that does chip international transfers? I am amazed about it - my bank takes $7 for international transfer (SWIFT). I know not every bank is that chip, but why you do business with expensive banks? Not to mention that you should be able to do all that online.

Poland is probably not the most modern country when it comes it banking, but we have cheap solutions, so you US folks should have too.

Western Union is getting into Poland and their offer is laughable - $5 for sending regional transfer :eek: It costs me 0 in my bank.

11. Adrian Lopez

Original Member

I spoke to my bank again today and asked them what I should do in case I go on vacation. They said I should let them know when and for how long I intend to be out, to which I asked whether my card might still be blocked. They said it could still be blocked in some cases such as when withdrawing money from certain foreign ATMs and said I should carry an alternate means of payment in case this happens to me while on vacation.

Time to find a different bank, perhaps?

12. Arkadesh

Original Member

Poland is modern (when it comes to banking)

Well, Polish banking is quite modern and the reason for that is that can be surprising - we have been banking desert for years. Poland is late adopter - which means we had no legacy systems to maintain and all procedures could be made from scratch, using all the novelties available. US has long history of commercial banking, many disparate systems and changing that isn't that easy probably. And breaking people habits is another factor that slows down the changes.

13. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

LOL

Yes, I think so.