Balling Out of Control

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Cogniad, May 31, 2018.

1. Cogniad

Cogniad New Member

Hey There.

I'm one person making one game. It goes slow of course, which is a problem when the brain wants to go fast. I've found that as I get further into the game, I get more and more ideas to "enrich" the gameplay. I somehow need the new game mechanic to "make the gameplay fun for once" or "make things look cool". So there it goes, onto the pile of things that I have to make to create a presentable game.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of game developers get into this trap. Creativity can be great, but at some point want we want can ball out of control and become a project that never gets finished. I was wondering how you guys avoid this, if at all?

2. Amalie

Amalie New Member

For me, I always try and stick to the absolute core mechanics of the game I am making. And before I even start making the game, I go over those core mechanics again and again with paper-prototypes and testing, in an attempt to make those fun on their own.
    So when it comes to making the game, my focus is to only make a playable prototype of those core mechanics first.
    In the ideal world, I'd always make a playable game, from beginning to end, with the basic core mechanics in place. And then afterwards, I can add to it.
    That being said, it's rare that the world is actually ideal.

My experience so far have been with very small scale games. And as soon as I dabble with designing something bigger, I fall into the exact same trap as you..! :')

I'd love to hear if anyone else has advice?