AsProtect vs Armadillo

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Sybixsus, Feb 21, 2005.

1. tonyoakden

tonyoakden New Member

I've read this thread and it seems a bit inconclusive. The game I am protecting, Snaky Jake, has already been released by a major online publisher and unfortunately it seems likely that it will soon be available from a Warez sites near you :(. However I am now going to sell the game direct through my site too and I want to protect it somehow even if it's only to stop casual players from sharing the game around. The solution I'm looking at using is the basic version of Armadillo. Can anyone tell me if this definetley will do the job? I am planning on using BMTMicro as the retail solution. 149 USD is about all I want to pay on protection at this stage.

Anyone have any strong oppinions?

regards,

http://charliedoggames.com
    tony@charliedoggames.com

2. toastytoad

toastytoad New Member

I don't like Armadillo because I found it was simple to contrive a time-limit workaround. Activemark is better, it quits out immediately on detecting a debugger. Unfortunately; Armadillo is probably the best product in the realistic price range.

Anyone else on here had more luck with Armadillo? (I bugged the Armadillo customer support about it, but it was not considered a defect since I didn't defeat or remove any protection)

3. Matthew

Indie Author

Simple for you or simple for your customer?

4. toastytoad

toastytoad New Member

Well, if you can't be your own first best customer, who is? ;)

Seriously, if a company makes a promise that a product does something, like say, protect a game, isn't it up to us to verify that and provide feedback as to it's efficacy?

I only bring it up in case other people have a better relationship with Armadillo devs, or have found a solution that I may be unaware of.

5. Bad Sector

Original Member

How about checking by yourself (in your game) if the game runs from a debbugger and refuse to run if so?

6. toastytoad

toastytoad New Member

IsDebuggerPresent() cannot be called without nontrivial performance implications. It's better to do debugger-presence checking in ASM. I have observed that some DRMs do a better job of it than I could do, that's why licensing a existing product has potential greater value than roll-yer-own. Plus I don't have copies of OllyDbg, SoftIce, WinDebug, IDA Pro to test against...

7. nbkolchin

nbkolchin New Member

What about protection for MacOS-X and/or Linux? All listed solutions are windows only.

Any alternatives for homemade copy protection?

8. mash

Original Member

9. nbkolchin

nbkolchin New Member

As I understand eSellerate has no support for Linux. Only Windows/Mac.

10. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I wasn't aware of IsDebuggerPresent - cool. Here's a link that provides a few lines of asm to do the same thing:

http://www.codeproject.com/debug/debugger.asp?df=100&forumid=2784&exp=0&select=1833921#xx1833921xx

Does anyone know if this will also detect the presence of programs that will allow access to your programs memory area? Even though I've now written some obfuscation stuff to check for obvious cheating in my game I would prefer to know if anything is running that could alter any memory in my game.