Aspiring Game Creator - I Need Help

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Adam Coe, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Adam Coe

Adam Coe New Member

So, I want to get started making a game. Not really any real strong idea outside of a top-down perspective complete 3 level game to get my feet wet. I was hoping someone on here could assist me by either directing me or telling me advice on how to script in unity. I know that is a lot to ask, but anything for a beginner is considered help. Also, if you know of any other programs that you would recommend, please let me know, I'd gladly check it out! Much appreciated!

2. Sideroxylon

Sideroxylon New Member

Welcome to the best forum for indie game developers world-wide, ever.

So what experience is most important to you? I understand that you want to get started, what is the most important aspect you want to learn? Coding, implementing ideas, understanding gameplay as a player, understanding gameplay as a developer, etc, etc, etc...? Also I wouldn't recommend Unity at all, especially not for a top down thing. And I wouldn't start with scripting if you aren't already very experienced in it. Just my opinion, though.

3. tendo23

tendo23 New Member

Hello Adam,
    I can only share ideas, I hope it helps at least a bit.
    So I don't know Unity that much, I've tried it but I didn't like it that much (sure it has its pros but cons as well). If you wanna stick to Unity, then, as Sideroxylon stated, you have to learn C#, as Unity uses that language. If you are a complete beginner at programming, I'd recommend using uscript (you have to buy it, but it may be worth it, especially if you're a beginner).
    Though what I really recommend is taking a look at Unreal Engine. It's also free to use, so no fees for using the program; has lots of tutorials on youtube and elsewhere, so it's easy to get started. It uses C++, but it also has the built-in Blueprint system, which is a visual representation for coding. As a beginner, you will find it very (or extremely, in my case) useful. You'll learn how the whole coding logic works, you can easily create your own gameplay logic. Also, Unreal 4 has a top-down game template, so you don't have to create the basic stuff from scratch.

4. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit