Artist Beginnings

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Valignus, May 18, 2010.

1. Valignus

Valignus New Member

Hi I am new to indieGamer. I have been designing a roleplaying game for over ten years, over the past year I've been learning Java for the programming of my game. Within the last two months I've been programming the game engine and its coming along nicely. I still need to perfect my programming but I'm not doing to bad. I would like to draw my own graphics, pixel art to be exact. 2D top-down view of graphics. Eventually isometric view. I'm not sure how to describe the style I have in mind for everything. What books would be good for pixel art, or drawing the things I would need for a roleplaying game? I could use some reference books for objects, people, animals, monsters, anything in a game. I've found some manga books that may be a good place to start for characters but what about everything else in the game?

2. richtaur

Indie Author

Holy shit I can relate to this. Ten years? Wow. It's time to release something, son! Make this your year. I'm serious. Release something this year, just do it.

Anyway, look at other games. You should have no problems finding isometric games out there. I'd look up Landstalker, Dark Savior and Final Fantasy Tactics screenshots. Try to make graphics like theirs with your own touch add to them. Good luck!!

3. Ranoka

Ranoka New Member

Hey Valignus,

Here's a good site that will give you the basics for pixel art, the isometric stuff is good, may have some things you haven't thought of yet:

http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/isometric_pixelart_tutorial_mathematics_of_isometrics.php

Here's a good place to start in general for pixel art:

http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_almighty_grass_tile.php

There are other tutorials on the right.

There are books on pixel art (did search in Amazon)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_i_0?rh=i:stripbooks,k:pixel+art&keywords=pixel+art

I've seen this one picked out before, but not sure if it's good or not:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Character-Design-Mobile-Devices-games/dp/2940361126/

I've been doing vector stuff in illustrator at work. It helps if you can visualize the form of what you're drawing in your minds eye. Drawing in isometric tends to take longer than drawing from side on, especially if you need to draw the same object from the front and behind (getting the forms to match front and back can be tricky) -- you can create the other directions by flipping those graphics, and maybe tweaking/correcting them if you desire.

10 years is a long time to work on a project, what have you been doing with that time?

Hope you make good progress :)

4. Valignus

Valignus New Member

Game Designing

I've been designing many aspects of the game, things that would be pretty neat that maybe haven't been in games yet and will hopefully hit home. Its a long shot but just maybe it'll be what some people need. Sadly about five years ago something happened to my binder full of notes and sketches, lost everything I had designed and sketched. Lists of different things, some pretty neat stuff. I had read "Designing Virtual Worlds" by Richard Bartlet and was writing some neat ideas. Anyway I still know what I designed its all in my head. I had different ways to do the same thing for different aspects of the game.
    Found a really neat attributes system(Strength, Wisdom, Vitality) that sort of thing. If you remember Ultima Online from its prime thats the style I'm going for...just even more to do while playing than that. Plus its singleplayer , and near the end of its production i'll be throwing in a multiplayer feature so you can invite anyone to your world to help with your game. Lite classes, sort of like a template for play, you'll choose what you want to mainly focus on then develop a custom character as you play. Tons of other ideas.
    I started reading a book called "Indie Game Development" Its pretty good. I haven't finished the book yet because as I read the book I do the work on the project. Its about time to read the production chapters. Already made the design document. About 30 pages of lite details for a lot of the ideas. I also started programming an MMORPG client and server engine. That was coming along pretty nicely as well. I liked doing it, it was fairly straightforward, I just decided...its my first game I should start out with a smaller scope and not jump in way over my head. I have no idea the amount of upkeep and security and stuff I need for it. A lot I bet. I thought I should at least learn more about programming and games and all of the aspects of putting together a good solid game, before releasing the MMO as a failure because I was unexperienced in entertainment. I'm using Java to program and its a really good language for 2D games. I really enjoy programming in it. I had messed around with Visual Basic back in high school and inbetween then and now, but not for a few years. For a while I've had "transitional" periods in my life about what language to use. Mainly because Visual Basic wasn't cutting it but it was hard to learn anything about a real programming language. You know what you gotta do? Just do it! Practice some lessons out of a How To Book and before no time you'll get the hang of it. Write little programs that interest you, or do it to interest someone else. All of the experience counts, you'll learn how to program just give it some time.
    Now I bought a MicroKorg synthisizer and a little $80 Yamaha keyboard, all the money went into the Korg. The keyboard gets the job done but i'll probably upgrade that. I'm taking piano lessons close to where I live and thats pretty fun, learning all sorts of things, beginner things nontheless. Practicing with that is also the only way for me to get better for me. I plan on doing the entire game myself. I've written short stories and character sheet type things. I plan on making this game and any game I make a very rich and detailed experience. I'm going for the feeling of being in the game and being the character not just playing something on your computer. I'd like to work in some knowledge from our world into the game, well maybe not my first game, but eventually I'd make a roleplaying game that taught you mathematics or science and used the rules from those subjects to govern the gaming features.