Architecture of Flash Facebook games

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by ggambett, May 6, 2010.

1. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

There seems to be a set of widely accepted guidelines for downloadble game sizes and deployment, but what about Facebook games?

For instance - what's the recommended size of the SWF? 1 MB? 5 MB?

When to stream content and when to have all loaded in the SWF? Farmville and others seem to load placeholders at startup and then load more content dynamically. Is that the way to go?

I'm an almost total n00b in Flash and Facebook so I'm making things up as I go, but it's always better to hear people who do know what they're talking about :) (I'm looking at you, Anatoly - you seem to have everything figured out and your posts are a goldmine!)

2. tolik

Original Member

You are totally right, there's an article from Zynga (try searching for "social games" on slideshare.net or gamasutra and then look for Zynga). They have a rule "show something ASAP", so basically make your loader include title screen with some randomly preloaded content, then core pack including UI with tutorial content and placeholders.

From my experience, I would really recommend to keep the launch content in 2MB core content with placeholder + 3 MB of single-pack basic static content (stuff that will always be in the game). Then all other extra files you add on a weekly basis as separate files loaded on-demand, using placeholders while loading. It all comes down to the price of bandwidth in the end and constantly increasing patience for a player...

Think about URLLoader wrapper you are using (like http://code.google.com/p/bulk-loader/ ) that will take care of connection breaks, queuing and different data types, e.g. XML first priority, gfx second priority, sounds 3rd priority.

3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Wooth here comes Bettyville's Bar! :D

4. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

:D

In fact, the first game I ported to test the AS3 port of our framework and a semi-automated C++ to AS3 converter is Betty's Beer Bar, so you're not too far from the truth ;)