Anyone using XP SP2 on their Dev box?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by 20thCenturyBoy, Oct 4, 2004.

1. 20thCenturyBoy

Original Member

Before I install it, I was wondering if anyone had any problems with XP SP2? I use Visual Studio 2003 with Whole Tomato Visual Assist X.

20thCB

2. wazoo

Original Member

same thing....nada.

I've got basically the same configuration (VS.NET 2003 + VA.NET) and no problems with SP2...

I'm REALLY kinda disappointed that SP2 DIDN'T include the .NET runtime (but DID include DX9.0c IIRC)...

That way, MS could "sneak" in the .NET runtime under the guise of security, giving us indies a chance to release some .NET games for a change...;)

3. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Yup, works fine for me here. In fact, I think it's the best thing MS have done in a while.

You might consider turning off the windows firewall but only if you've got another one, or better yet, a hardware wall or proxy or something. It's a bit in yer face this time around and a lot of apps won't run with it on even if they apparently don't touch the net!

For some reason Civ3 crashes on exit now too - maybe theres a little bit of spying going on there that weren't tested too well :)

The pop-up blocker and picture hidificator seems to make IE almost safe to use again too - I've actually stopped using firefox again now (at least until they put a "Save target as..." into it!).

I'd say backup your stuff (off computer), take a deep breath, dive in.

4. Cartman

Indie Author

I've installed it on a bunch of our development machines. 5 pcs, and 1 laptop. The laptop was the only one that gave me problems. It kept failing halfway through but it finally took after the third try. It seemed it was a conflict between the automatic updates that tried to force the update and the fact I was already trying to manually do the update.

5. Diragor

Original Member

Applewood - Firefox has always had, and still does have, "Save target as..". It's called "Save link as...", which is a pretty poor choice of words for the function.

6. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Really? I've seen the 'save link as' option before but I'm sure when I tried it it actually just saves a URL.lnk file.

What I wanted was to download and save the actual linked file with a new name in the place I wanted to.

7. Diragor

Original Member

That's what it does. I use it all the time but I tried it just now to make sure I'm not crazy. It works. :)

8. Nemesis

Original Member

I installed SP2 via Windows Update.. no problems whatsoever and it was easy as pie.

But before going for it, you might want to look into any incompatibilities with your existing software e.g. Nero needs to be patched (free) to be fully compatible.

9. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

I've had some problems with random crashes, mostly during games though so it hasn't interfered with work too much.

On the other hand my system always was a bit dodgy, I'd finally got it ok but since installing SP2 it's just gone totally unstable again :mad:
    I think the XFX motherboard I've got is to blame.

Apart from that it certainly seems like a good thing on the whole. I had a problem updating one of the computers here, no explanation for it not working which is my only gripe with windows update, but ordered it for free on CD from MS and it installed fine.