Anyone developing a game that is starting from nothing?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by DorkyDamsel, Jul 5, 2016.

1. DorkyDamsel

DorkyDamsel
    Expand Collapse

Some of the things I like watching on youtube is let's plays. I really enjoy watching horror games being played. I have played a few in the past. While I was watching a let's play of Until Dawn, I got an idea for a game. I noticed gamer's mention, how this game could be better, this would be better, this aspect of the game is amazing, so on and so forth. So I started writing a story of what popped into my head. I have, I think, a fair amount of story now, but I have no idea what I am doing. I have searched how to write a game and what not, but I still feel a bit lost on the whole matter. I was wondering if someone with any experience would mind chatting with me. Thank you for your time. :D

2. noahbwilson

noahbwilson
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

All my games started from nothing. I'm not sure where else they could start from.

3. RogueGambler

RogueGambler
    Expand Collapse

I'm starting from scratch into week 2 about .002% done.... :D

4. idurvesh

idurvesh
    Expand Collapse

do you have any experience in programming or graphics?

5. Chaotrope

Chaotrope
    Expand Collapse

I feel like the real question here is 'Is anyone just starting their game?'

6. two_larsens

two_larsens
    Expand Collapse

Well, there are writers a-plenty in this game-creating world of ours. I would start with that. As for what you can do, then you could see if you could put a team together of people knowing the different aspects, and take it from there. It always starts with nothing, and it can be a bit intimidating. The trick (I find) in making anything, is to have something to build on. So, I would write detailed plans for the game - the story, characters - anything you can think of. You could then put a post up - for instance here on this site, and see what shakes. Good luck!

idurvesh and DorkyDamsel like this.
  7. DorkyDamsel

DorkyDamsel
    Expand Collapse

I have been writing this story and game play for over a year now. I have 42 pages in standard script format. I have no idea if that's a lot, a little, or even if I am doing it right. I am a writer who had an idea for a game so I am writing the story and then I have no idea what I will do for actually making the game. lol

bantamcitygames likes this.
  8. DorkyDamsel

DorkyDamsel
    Expand Collapse

Nope, none. I have downloaded a few game engines and have played a round with them, but I am not sure I can self teach myself them.

9. DorkyDamsel

DorkyDamsel
    Expand Collapse

Or that. I just feel like I am alone in the gaming world and would love to talk with people, I have no idea if I am doing anything right, or even well. As well as I have no knowledge on how to make a game. I am a writer that thought of a story for a game, so I am still in the process of writing that out.

10. DorkyDamsel

DorkyDamsel
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, that was actually REALLY helpful! :) Thank you so much. I am still in the process of writing the story I came up with, so I think after I complete that (however long that will be) and then develop the characters (what they looks like and such. Thank you again.

11. two_larsens

two_larsens
    Expand Collapse

Also, technically, if you write enough of a story for a game, you could have it be a book in itself, and enjoy that aspect of it, and from there take it to a game. There is nothing wrong with having a good background to any kind of entertainment - be it film, shows, books, or games. As said, there are many ways to Rome, and it's good to appreciate the process.

idurvesh likes this.
  12. idurvesh

idurvesh
    Expand Collapse

@two_larsens has given you really good idea .Game development field is too vast to do it everything for yourself.If you are good at writing story then find team who can implement that in technical world have revenue share and enjoy the perks.

But where to find good team? May be post here in Help wanted section, or in reddit or check this social network for indie developers http://www.indieteamup.com/signin

Lastly make sure you research alot and know ins and outs of indie gaming.Watch "Indie Game: The Movie" documentary to get good feel of it.

13. RMColetti

RMColetti
    Expand Collapse

I guess I'm in almost the same situation. I had an idea of a game and I started writing it's story. Drawed the map, some characters , enemies and stages.
    I don't know how to program, yet, I'm learning how to model in ZBrush and Maya and how to use Unreal Engine 4 so I could create the game.
    I'm just searching ideas, tutorials, anything that could help me develop, polish and finish this game. No matter how long it takes.
    It's been a nice time doing it. (I'm brazilian, so I'm sorry for not perfect my english )

14. noahbwilson

noahbwilson
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

I build all my games from nothing. I'm just now learning that a lot of people use 'game makers'.

I may have said his before, but I spent the greater part of 10 years out of the game dev community, doing what I thought other people did when it came to game dev... and now I'm learning its not the way people do things.

Personally I think may way is much better.

Then again, I'm not making fancy 3D games for Steam or whatever the hell that is. I make games I want to play.

15. StephenHale1.1.0

StephenHale1.1.0
    Expand Collapse

I am also in the same situation, really. I am capable of making stories, and making fairly appealing low poly style terrain, but I have no experience in the overall development.

16. SilicateWielder

SilicateWielder
    Expand Collapse

I'm starting out as well, with just a few scraps of code I've pulled from other stuff I've written in my spare time, but no idea what I want to make that doesn't feel like a clone or remix of something else.

I don't know if it counts as a "game maker" but I use the Sphere v1.5 Development Enviroment.

17. metateen

metateen
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Indie Author

Every game starts from nothing for indies when it comes to an economic level, from a beginning level. It starts with nothing but an idea.

18. TheAfroKing333

TheAfroKing333
    Expand Collapse

I started from nothing and have made this so far, the download link is in the description.

19. Shrestha Tripathi

Shrestha Tripathi
    Expand Collapse

I love Youtube as its a great source of entertainment.
    We are into mobile app & Web development and would like to undertake challenging tasks as gam development based on latest tech like AR, VR, IoT etc.

Get in touch with [us](https//:www.brainmobi.com) for App Development queries