Any "non-casual" games sell good?

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by sticksfirmly, Oct 11, 2006.

1. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Can't speak for anybody else but I've never seen Dan and Marshall together in the same room...

2. Bad Sector

Original Member

A bug in the Matrix?

3. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

Ooh, that Marshall! So mean! And so mysterious!

...I wish it was delayed just for psychological reasons.

4. princec

Indie Author

Them's of us who've played Cletus know that it's probably going to be a massive hit though :)

Cas :)

5. siread

Original Member

New Star Soccer 3 has sold around 6000 licenses in 1 year. Doesn't do too well on portals, but word of mouth just keeps on selling it. :)

6. sillytuna

Indie Author

Heh, I'll stand up here and now and say that Anthony's forthcoming game is a pet fave of ours and I know others are going to love it when released.

Regarding Introversion and Uplink - I'm sure they'll comment themselves should they wish, but they did spend a lot of time on Darwinia before they "made it", financially and otherwise. Fact is that they did "make it" in the end, i.e. can now self-fund further projects.

7. sticksfirmly

sticksfirmly New Member

I just figured. No real reason to back it up. Just some of the things you've posted on your blog and on this forum that made me think that. Didn't mean to offend at all.

@ All

Thanks everyone it was really enlightening. It's good to know that there IS a market and possiblity of success for a non-casual, non-match-3 clone, (dare I say, actually FUN :) ) game out there.

8. sillytuna

Indie Author

Developing games shouldn't be fun. You're on the wrong board.

Games are about making wads of cash, driving ferrari's, copious amounts of booze, and visiting lap dancing clubs.

Whoops, sorry, that's the Marketing boys.

Bitter? Me? Noooo...

9. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

President Forever by 80soft.com did incredible during the run up to the last elections and was fairly solid before and after.

I would say most of the stuff by Niels Bauer have been very solid performers for indie (www.nbsd.de)

I think the war and strategy genre is a an area waiting to be harvested. I think Metal Knights has done well overall and has a good free->pay for greater benefits model.

Risk is a good genre to work in also that I think has alot of potention. Sean O'Connor of windowsgames.co.uk has Conquest which really broadens the genre and adds some good maps. Has been very steady seller for me.

I think shooters for the most part are fairly played out unless you can come up with a new concept. Crimsonland was fairly unique on the net although it borrowed from Smash TV, Robotron, etc. Great game and alot of fun.

10. sticksfirmly

sticksfirmly New Member

Waiting to be harvested?

It seems to me that it already is. It seems like a very niche market, and I actually forgot that there a number of solid strategy indie games out there. I completely forgot about those.

11. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

I think the AAA market is bloated in this area but not the small file, online indie market yet. Tradewinds is an example. Someone could do a pretty cool, Advance Wars type game that I think would do really well online. Check out Metal Knights http://metalknights.com/ - I think a cleaned up single player game like this would do well under a variety of themes from distant past to futuristic.

12. DangerCode

Original Member

Seriously, why is this even tolerated?

13. Emmanuel

Moderator Original Member

Accessible platformers have done very well -- Turtle Odyssey hit #1 on RealArcade and broke our top 10. Bud redhead was a smash hit in its time as well. Cletus seems to be more inspired than either.. If it's way easier than Platypus I'm sure it will do awesome.

And come on, I finished pizza panic, so release Cletus this year already :)

Best regards,
    Emmanuel

14. Jack Norton

Indie Author

If you are talking only from business point of view (best revenues) I would definitely go for a platform. Is a genre not "casual" by definition but popular between men and women, and in general (as far as I know) sales don't drop quickly as with other genres.

15. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

I think this year would be pushing it, since every time I start to make any progress on the damn thing and get some flow going, I am immediately interrupted. I guess those of you who try to make games in "family time" know that feeling. Rrrrr!

Still, it is starting to wrap up now - really! It shall be much easier to beat than Platypus, but also very difficult if you prefer - I'm including very wide options for difficulty this time. But it doesn't have the same simple controls, so it may not be as readily accepted by casual players. We shall see.

It's probably a gamer's game first and foremost. The response from more traditional gamer types has been very positive; I'm hoping that it will be a good word-of-mouth spreader.

But whether it pays for itself or not, if it turns out well, I'll be satisfied. It's more of a personal challenge than a business. It's also the kind of thing that makes for a good work portfolio - whether or not it's financially successful, it's bound to create more opportunites for me in future. I don't think I can really lose out by making it.

16. Fry Crayola

Original Member

Any idea how important NSSs 1 & 2 were in that?

17. adamw

Original Member

Oh man, we should start a thread about this topic. I'm with you, brotha'! How long have I been working on Dungeon Delvers now? No, don't tell me. I don't want to know.

Lately my problem has been my day job drains me so much that my get up and go has got up and went. I'm out by 9-10:00 PM, snoring in the lazyboy.

But I figure if I make any forward momentum, that's good. And eventually, one *does* get done.

18. siread

Original Member

There certainly helped build up a fanbase. NSS1 = 398. NSS2 = 4423. The fact that they are football games garuantees reviews and I have gathered quite a few contacts in that respect. Getting reviewed in the likes of FourFourTwo makes a massive difference. Months later people still say they heard about the game in a magazine review.

19. simonh

Indie Author

My game isn't particularly casual and sells reasonably, it's shifted a few hundred from my own site and a few thousand on portals.

It is a cute game though, which of course appeals to kids which I think is where most of the sales go.

20. jankoM

Indie Author

Nice to hear your game sells so nice. I allways thougth it is great (and my nieces loved it) so I think it was unreasonably shadowed by hamster ball. There was a lot of talk about HB (at least here) but never SGB.

Janko M.

edit... I even sold 2 or 3 on BKG I think.