another depressing iphone sales article

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by andrew, Oct 14, 2009.

1. andrew

andrew New Member

This time from Newsweek: http://www.newsweek.com/id/216788/output/print

2. princec

Indie Author

And what... it suddenly vanished and he doesn't make a bean out of it any more? He just gave up updating it and developing it and advertising it??? Even I, famous Loser Extraordinaire of the Indie Game World, still turn a profit to this day. Albeit small. I've easily made $3000 without lifting a finger all year too.

Cas :)

3. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Maybe he's going for the sympathy vote (sale?), getting more press coverage with this story etc..

4. TimS

Original Member

$29,000 on programmers? For "Trip Cubby"?

I mean, it supports both miles and kilometers, but still. $29k?

And over $100k for "Gas Cubby"?

This guy is doing it wrong, methinks.

5. Deva

Deva New Member

Yes, any press is good press. Free advertising. I'd be surprised if he didn't see more sales from this.

6. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes that really is strange even if I sell few of my iphone game, I sell it every day. Not like one day completely stopped.

7. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Whoaaa Km and Miles. These programmers are really good. ;)

Like they can convert to both metrics by just scaling the end result by the right factor.

JC

8. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

What a complete Muppet, I have NO sympathy. I don't care that his programmers clearly were crap, but what REALLY bugs me about these sorts of stories is that people throw a ton of money at something they have zero experience of, and then get upset when it fails. Its like all these people in the UK who start restaurants because "they are good cooks" and they remortgage their houses to do it, or worse still, the people who think they are 'property developers' because they watched a TV programme and end up hundreds of thousands of pounds in debt.

Heres some free business advice:

Make sure you are very good at what you do before trying to start a business doing it

Make sure you have worked within another company doing the same thing and learned about the business first hand before going it alone

Start small and build up. If you can't make a living as a lone developer, your chances of making a living for 5 or 6 full time employees are minimal.

9. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Hear, hear!

10. Reactor

So, while we're here in this thread (and this thread has pretty much reached an agreed upon conclusion)... what's the general verdict on developing for the app store? I have middeware that I originally grabbed for PC dev, but I've had the lingering thought to put its iPhone development powers to use, pick up a cheap Mac and make something.

Do I read the positive stories about game dev on the app store and imagine there's potential to do well on there, or do I read the grittier ones and just move on, and focus on what I know?

I'd love to hear from those who've been there and done that.

11. Applewood

Not been there and done it yet, but that fact still has value. We looked earnestly at this a year ago and decided that it was too risky.

If your app goes stellar then there's good money to be had, but that's true anywhere. It's also arrogant to assume you can get it to happen - 11 of us can't all have a top ten title no matter what we do.

I think getting on PSP mini or something would be a far more manageable risk and is in fact what we have ongoing for our next indie title at Rubicon. Exposure is not as great but they're all gamers and they've not been massaged into thinking that 70p for a game is extortion yet!

12. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Making money on iPhone is a constantly evolving formula. Timing was the biggest factor in the majority of iPhone success stories that still linger in the media. As is though, there's nothing particularly better about iPhone than the PC market. It's more a question of, if you're on both, you have 2 revenue streams instead of 1.

Best line ever. :D

13. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

This guy should have started smaller and tried to generate good monthly revenues before burrowing money. Very often the problem is generating the sales and not necessarily getting the game completed. He probably took for granted that the sales would be coming. The game business is the kind of business that you can start very small and very often it is necessary to start very small and go step by step.

14. cliffski

I haven't done iphone stuff, but I'd guess that

1) You missed the boat, the big boys dominate now and
    2) It is VERY locked in. Its like making an exclusive game with a single portal in mind. Would you do that?

15. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I think the major downside on iphone (and XNA as well) is the ridiculous pricing. Selling even only 10-20 copies a month might be OK if your game is $20 (or at least $10), but if is $0.99 ...:eek:

16. vbovio

vbovio New Member

could not agree more on that, that's close to what my game gets...

and yes, the games are dominated by the big boys, and the app store is like a very closed portal.. once the flash thing comes out, the crap will make it worse to enter there..

having saying that, I'll try free with ads and see if it makes better money..

17. Reactor

Thanks for the thoughts and comments, guys.

That's true to a degree... I can certainly see them moving in at the moment, popular IPs in hand, but what they're bringing to the table isn't saturating every area. There might still be a way onto the boat :)

That's the million dollar question, for sure ;) I like the idea of making a game for a bit of hardware I have, (other than the PC) and I like the idea of potentially doing well if the moons of a thousand worlds align. But, you're right that from a marketing point of view it has stupid written all over it.

It's not uncommon to see $10(AUD) games. Sometimes they drop in price for sales, but a number of larger devs keep them solidly at that price.

18. Reactor

Adverts in apps suck. Just my personal opinion on the matter ;)

19. cliffski

when someone pre-orders Gratuitous Space Battles on PC, I make around $19 pure profit.
    Just saying...

20. JGOware

Indie Author

There's a trend to slowly raise the prices on iphone games. I mean sure, the fart apps will cost .99, but even low end decent games should be selling at least 1.99-3.99 and then better games in the 5.99-9.99 market, or higher. It's a slow battle, but devs have to reverse the damage that's been done on the iphone market. The end users perception of price/quality is so frickin skewed.