Another Android Sucks Article

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by HarryBalls, Jul 25, 2012.

1. HarryBalls

HarryBalls New Member

2. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

Interesting... do you think this is pretty standard? I have a friend that is thinking about going into the free+ad supported model in android. I thought I had heard (previously on this forum) that some people had pretty good results with this model so I'd be interested in getting that confirmed/rejected.

3. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

He had me for awhile there but personally, I like an open device. The marketplace will sort itself out in the long run - short term, continued pain for a lot of dev's but it might simply be that there are more dev's in the pool than the marketplace needs. It's a great time to be a game player though.

4. EddieX

EddieX New Member

Too many people pushing out crap and driving down quality. Sooner or later people will have to start putting out quality warez.
    Or maybe not...but you hope they do.

5. electronicStar

Original Member

It would be more interesting if it didn't come from a rabid apple fan

6. James Coote

James Coote New Member

The strategy for my own soon-to-be-released android game is to simply target directly those that I think are willing to pay, charge a higher price for the game, and expect that 99% of people who pirate what is a very niche game to begin with are probably not going to play it more than 5 minutes anyway. Taking it from there, I could do paid-for expansions or "freeLC" / fund new content by kickstarter and donations.

The problem is in growing the business from small indie team to something larger, as the medium-sized games that should be the stepping stones are uneconomical

7. HarryBalls

HarryBalls New Member

are you only planning to release this game on android?