ANN: Vera Blanc (mystery/detective) for Pc, mac, linux

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jack Norton, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Jack Norton

Indie Author

I finished my latest game, still a visual novel hybrid but this time is not manga (since uses standard comic-art style).

Official page:
    http://www.verablanc.com

Quick Download links:
    http://www.winterwolves.com/download.php?game=VBFullMoonDemo.exe (Pc Version)
    http://www.winterwolves.com/download.php?game=VBFullMoonDemo.zip (Mac Version)
    http://www.winterwolves.com/download.php?game=VBFullMoonDemo.tar.bz2 (Linux Version)

Description (some teaser texts sorry):
    Vera Blanc is a mystery / detective game. Take on the role of Vera Blanc, a young and beautiful woman with an extraordinary power: the ability to read other people's minds!
    Daughter of Emmanuel Blanc, one of the richest people on Earth, she left her life of luxury to use her powers to work alongside paranormal detective Brandon Mackey.
    In this first episode, our heroine travels to a mysterious town in Germany deep in the Black Forest. A serial killer is on the loose, and all leads point to a werewolf as the culprit!
    The game plays like a visual novel / adventure game with several different paths to solve the mystery, and a collection of challenging minigames.
    Featuring innovative comic-style art, with over 200 unique panels, Vera Blanc immerses you in the world of the supernatural as you play the detective!
    Will you be able to solve the mystery?

Screenshots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

The art is kewl. :)

3. Wrote A Game or Two

Wrote A Game or Two New Member

I agree! Very good stuff. We're currently courting a few local comic book artists here in town that have been looking to put together games based on their creations & unique stories, so I'm a big fan of comic based games. I'll definitely check this one out. :cool:

4. Bad Sector

Original Member

Nice art, downloading the Mac version...

5. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Somehow related to the game and especially to gamedev. Simon De Rivaz (who posted here previously with nickname saintxi) suggested me to change the homepage banner for the game:

Old banner:
    [​IMG]

New banner:
    [​IMG]

since this change the clickthrough rate increased by +25% (might also be the weekend effect so will need a bit more time to make some statistics). Amazing still thinking that even small things like that can make a difference!

6. Olivier

Indie Author

More clicks with less boobs Jack? Unbelievable! :D Nice art btw.

7. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes was surprised myself :D
    Might just be temporary because of the 4th july weekend though...

8. iggie

iggie New Member

Simon de Rivaz - That's Me! :) The other nick was a company I used to work for.

I loved this game - got hooked both by the mystery storyline but also my the way the minigames were just so appropriate to their context. Like mindreading be slowly guessing and revealing the thought letter by letter, and searching locations for clues in a spot the difference game.

I don't often buy VN but this one is a great place to start if you are a fan or new to the genre.

9. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Either that or Twilight fandom.

10. Bad Sector

Original Member

I played for a while. It looks good and seems interesting. I liked the thought reading minigame, but i couldn't work with "find the differences" one. Probably needs more obvious differences than small spots of a few pixels :). Scrolling through time with the mouse wheel helps a lot though :). Although i image it might be a slight problem with magic mouse (i only tried with my laptop mouse because my magic mouse has ran out of batteries).

Unfortunately i lost my progress because i assumed that the game will save it when i exit, which wasn't the case :-/.

Are you planning to do an iPad version? All the time i wanted to lay in bed and play it there (it is too book-like :p). Well, i don't have an iPad but such games seem to fit very well for it :)

11. Jack Norton

Indie Author

About the no save on quit, you should have got a warning though before exit (with confirmation Yes / No).
    Since I used Ren'Py, the answer is clearly no (since we clearly know how liberal is Apple policy about that on iphone/ipad). However I know Tom (Ren'Py programmer) is working on an Android port, so yes is very likely that any games I've made in past 2 years (all with Ren'Py) will be available on Android phones/tablets in the near future :)

Alternatively you can just bring your netbook in the bed hehe ;)

12. Bad Sector

Original Member

If i'm not mistaken, i think Apple eased their policy on scripting engines and they now allow them for games :).

I use my netbook in the bed all the time for reading stuff, but i can't play games since most of them require mouse and it is very uncomfortable to use the netbook touchpad in bed :p.

13. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Ah should let him know, even if I think he was so pissed that probably gave up completely on those platforms! :)

14. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Just a quick update: I've simplified the "find differences" minigame, so if you were pissed off too much by those and stopped playing, might be a good time to retry :)