ANN: Ricochet Infinity from Reflexive Entertainment

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by James C. Smith, Jun 5, 2007.

1. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

Today Reflexive announced that Ricochet Infinity will be released in July.

You can read the press release or go to the official Ricochet Infinity web site for more preview information.

Here is copy of the press release including screen shots

2. James C. Smith

If you are curios about this game be sure to check out www.ricochetinfinity.com for a few more images and some bullet points

3. oNyx

Original Member

Will it also use QPC like the other parts of the series?

4. Escapee

Original Member

Me being a big fan of Richochet extreme (Ex free version). I'm really X 100 looking forward for the release of infinity.

5. James C. Smith

Every game I have ever worked on has used QueryPerformanceCounters. I did some googling and Microsoft seems to say that this is only a problem for buggy BIOS or HALs. They say you can fix it with a bios update or a CPU driver update and they link to AMD.com and INTEL.com. They also mention a line you can add to your boot.ini to make QPC work more reliably. You may want to try that.

However, I don't expect the "casual" players to know how to do that any more than I expect them to have decent drivers for hard accelerated 3D. So I do plan to switch Ricochet Infinity over to use timeGetTime before the game is released. But I would love to see a case where QPC is broken. I never like to attempt to fix a bug until I can verify it is broken. Otherwise it is imposable to verify the fix. Where can I get a computer that has a broken QPC? Is this problem specific to AMD or Intel, certain motherboards or chip sets?

6. Sybixsus

Original Member

Can you not use both? Use QPC but occasionally compare with TimeGetTime to see if it's getting out of sync ( by more than a small margin. ) Then if it is, use TimeGetTime to get it back on track again. Seems to me that I remember that being the recommended way to do it, and it's what I plan to do, although I'm currently just using QPC too, as I can't find any way to test it broken either.

7. oNyx

Original Member

Well, it's broken here (that's why I asked ;)). The glitch I get is so called QPC leaping (it randomly jumps a few seconds into the future if there is a high bus load). There are two ways to fix it... a) throw the mainboard away and get a new one or b) replace the graphics card (was fine with a gf2mx and it's broken with that ati9100 *shrug*).

Only a few very old chipsets are affected. However, TGT is generally a lot more robust than QPC. There were a few issues with TGT like 10 years ago, but it seems to be wiped out by now.

QPC can be broken in several different ways. There is speedstep (and similar technologies), which change the clock frequency. There are multi core setups and you may get readings from different cores. There is some kind of race condition, which may occur (I don't know any details). And there are broken chipsets like mine.

QPC leaping:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q274323&

8. Dyno Kid

Indie Author

Looks very nice, I must give this one a try...

Great Job:)

Darren.

9. Sillysoft

Indie Author

As a fan of the series, I am looking forward to playing this.

Interesting that you've moved the level download into the game itself (with tagging noless :p ). Will it be like that in copies sold from other portals?

10. James C. Smith

Yes. The in game downloading features is planned to be in every distribution of Ricochet Infinity. It has been carefully design to be as portal friendly as possible. With Ricochet Lost Worlds many players didn't have access to the level downloads because they didn't know they existed because the portals would not allow linking to the levels web site. Now everyone should be able to access them and it is easier than ever before. But downloading levels in only half the battle. With thousands of levelset available, it is hard to know what to download without a good rating and tagging system. With the web based rating systems is was very hard to get people to rate levels. Now you are asked for a rating in game as soon as you finish playing a levelset. It is also much easier the brows the levelset catalog and filter out levelsets you have already played. That was imposable to do with a web based catalog since the web site had no idea what you have played.

Many Ricochet Lost Worlds level designers have had access to early build of Ricochet Infinity for a while now. We already have hundreds of player created levels made that take advantage of the new features of Ricochet Infinity. Plus, Ricochet Infinity can play levels designed for Ricochet Lost Worlds and the beta testers have been busy using the new rating and tagging systems to organize the thousands of RLW levelsets. Now it is so much easier to access and sort all those levels sets to find the real gems. And it is even more fun to play them now that the Recall features give you control of your ball all the time and there are new power-ups in play even when playing older Lost Wolds levels.

I have been spending a lot of time playing Ricochet lately. I hope my love for the game shows though in the end product. It is really great to be able to work on a project that I enjoy so much.

#10 James C. Smith, Jun 6, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  11. wazoo

Original Member

Kudos James on the fine work!

In the end, isn't that our utopia? :)

12. WaveRider

Indie Author

tick tock
    tick tock

13. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

:)

Soon...

A limited release will happen in the next few days and the game is set to go out on the 31st

:)

14. Kaos

Original Member

ok looked at the screenshots and I am impressed.

are you offering an indiegamer discount?

(I doubt it, but gotta ask)

did you use the same "dirty rect" programming as on BKR?

Oh I will just have to wait and see.

**edit**
    hey where is the pre order link?

15. tentons

Indie Author

If you could share the info, in what way did you make it "portal friendly"? Is this because the game handles the downloading behind the scenes rather than making the player go to your website? If so, I guess that is ok with portals since there is no user knowledge of what site the game is contacting?

Congrats on the release!

16. cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo New Member

17. James C. Smith

The main thing is that the game does not contain any links to any web sites. It never opens any web browsers nor does it suggest that the user should. It just connects to the internet directly (with the user’s permission) and downloads a catalog of player created content. The game never collects any person information such as e-mail address. The game never asks the player to create an account or makeup a password.

Most developers know that portals do not allow game to contain links to web sites. But they also don’t like game to allow players to create “accounts”. The portals fear that accounts within a game could be confused with the account the player has on the portal.

18. mad_rain

mad_rain New Member

Hi!

Nice work guys!

Is Ricochet Infinity available for affiliates?

19. Escapee

Original Member

It's scheduled to be released (officially) on 31th if i'm not mistaken..

20. James C. Smith

That's right. Ricochet Infinity will be launched on Reflexive.com and GameCenterSolution (Reflexive affiliates) on July 31st. (Tomorrow) It is currently is a limit trial release and is not even mentioned in the What new section on Refleixve.com. We are bringing it online slowly to make sure the server can handle the load.

#20 James C. Smith, Jul 30, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2007