ANN: Fragile Ball

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Bimboosoft, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Escapee

Original Member

I suggest posting video guides for level 3 & above on Youtube to show how insanely difficult this unique indie game is. :)

2. chewiban

Original Member

I've set (in options) the rotation speed to minimum, but it is still fast. Maybe arrow keys control will be more precise?

3. Bad Sector

Original Member

Am i the only one who doesn't like DayDream's mockup? (Sorry DayDream)

While artistically it is indeed better than the real shot, it's much more "bright" and with today's trend in indie games graphics, somewhat "another one of the same". And given that it doesn't really contain any kind of detail, it's a bland "another one of the same".

It's not that i like much of Bimboosoft's art either, but i think that for this game it's better suited than "happy bright art". What this game's art needs is not a total remake, but adding a bit of detail on the textures (you have bricks, ok? well, break some, add a few different colors there, use some different kind of bricks, put a little graffitti, use more detailed backgrounds, etc) and of course more variation.

4. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Happy bright art!!!! It looks like really dirty paper box too me. You can't call that happy bright art!

JC

5. ChrisP

Indie Author

I agree with Bad Sector. It's not "happy bright art" exactly, but it is more so than the original, while still being grungy. The result is some kind of weird middle-ground between "happy bright art" and "dirty grungy art", which somehow doesn't appeal to me. I don't know why.

I do agree with many of the criticisms of the original artwork however. Those buttons are quite hard to read.

6. DayDream

Indie Author

Guys... My mock was only intended to highlight the problems with the existing art - lack of style, contrast and readability... I spent 30min on something quick to show what bugged me... rather than trying to put it into words.

Btw. I have no idea why the image doesn't show - those are normal jpg files... :(

7. ChrisP

Indie Author

I thought that might be the case. Didn't mean to offend, so sorry if you were offended. I was just saying that I personally wouldn't be happy with that as final artwork. It does work well to demonstrate what you're saying though.

The images only showed properly in the thread for me after I clicked on the links, but that might just be because this webpage was still loading and it hadn't got to those images yet.

8. lakibuk

Indie Author

I think DayDream's sketch is great as always. Especially the 2nd picture.

9. Bad Sector

Original Member

@jcottier:
    I mean "happy bright art"-ish, or in other words what ChrisP described :p.

@lakibuk:
    Um, the second picture is DayDream's. The first is from the game :)

@DayDream:
    Your server might have a very low timeout value perhaps?

10. lakibuk

Indie Author

Ouch, sorry. That's why it looked pretty similar to the other ones i saw.

11. mooktown

Original Member

I'd be more inclined to download with DayDreams art..

12. Bimboosoft

Original Member

Hello,

Here is a new version.

What's new in v1.02
    -------------------
    - Added key board control.
    You may use keyboard (change speed with shift key). But it seems more difficult...

- Changed level 3.
    The level 3 was too difficult for beginners.

- Changed default rotation speed.
    - Other adjustments.

About the art, DayDream's art may be better for the market.
    But I like the current design:)

Thanks again for the suggestions!

13. Backov

Original Member

I haven't played the game (yet) but I agree after looking at the first shot that it looks very programmer-arty. You should definitely hire an artist man, Daydreams version of your game would probably convert 2x better. :)

14. Sol_HSA

Indie Author

Found time to try the demo, and I have to agree with the graphics.. Otherwise, I didn't find the difficulty too harsh - in fact, I felt that the demo was way too short, and I feel that in order to get hooked I'd have to see some of the "real" levels in addition to the clear tutorial ones..

The only level where I died was the first superball one, and that level just felt unfair.

15. Bimboosoft

Original Member

Wow, that's impossible for me too:rolleyes:

I have changed level 6 to "slant" which was included in v1.00.
    Version number is same since it's minor change.

16. Falcan

Indie Author

I think that level 3 is too big jump from the very easy level 2 - there should have been like 2-3 levels between those, with slowly increasing difficulty. People will feel like they suck when they can't get past 3rd level on 1st or 2nd try(which I didn't, and I consider myself quite "skilled" player).

Also fighting with piracy through remotely connecting to internet is like fighting with windmills. If someone will want to crack your game, they will do it, trust me. They just switch the result of your internet check in disassembler or something similar;) You drive off more people than you would "gain". If someone doesn't want to buy your game and is looking for cracked version, they probably won't buy your game even if there is no cracked version, those are for exmaple kids without money.

The game idea reminds me many flash games, but is interesting. With better presentation it would be really not bad game, I would play it for some time for sure. But it needs alot of work(maybe next part,eh?:)

17. Bimboosoft

Original Member

Hello,

Changed the level order again...
    Also changed license certification method.

What's new in v1.03
    -------------------
    - Changed license certification method.
    - Changed level order.
    - Bug fixes.