ANN: Dodge That Anvil!

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Drake, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Drake

Indie Author

2. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Well this qualifies as one of the odder titles I've played recently. Just conceptually its a little strange to have anvils as your main antagonist. But on the other hand I did get a bit of the feeling I was playing inside an interactive looney toons episode and that was certainly a good thing. Overall I found it somewhat addicting and pretty fun. Lots of cute touches like the anvils that chase you and so on. I thought the sound was great. I did have a crash when a ball landed on my head and thats when i stopped playing.

3. Drake

Indie Author

Sorry for the crash, svero. Were you playing in Firefox 1.5 on a PC, by chance? There seems to be a very sporadic crash bug, possibly triggered by SFX playback, that I haven't been able to pin down yet.

4. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Definitely one the best looking Shockwave 3D games have seen and the controls are very smooth plus. Not my cup of tea game wise but can see users liking it.

5. Chris Evans

As I've mentioned before, I love the graphical style. I'm into colorful slightly cartoony 3D graphics.

As for the game itself, it's fun though the mouse control felt a little loose. I didn't feel in complete control of the rabbit. I'll give the keyboard controls a spin a little bit later.

The tutorial levels seemed to have dragged on little bit longer than I would have liked. Maybe you could reduce the carrot count for the tutorial levels? Or at the very least allow the player to skip out of the tutorial once they feel they have a hang of it. I ended up just hitting refresh on my browser, so I could start the regular game.

I like the in-game shop a lot. Definitely comes in handy. I don't think it was in the early demo I played.

The game ran very smooth even on my crappy celeron, so I give it high marks for that. Some of the other impressive shockwave 3D games I've played, run like molasses on my celeron.

In terms of bugs, the game crashed my browser twice (as in shutting down IE) when I initially loaded the game. I've rarely seen that before with shockwave games. Are you checking for any Xtras or doing something else unique on the startup?

Anyway, glad to see this game finally out. Good luck! :)

6. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Nope. I was playing in explorer using XP.

7. jankoM

Indie Author

Very nice looking game. I played it a long ago but I see it changed here and there from then. I remember I played many levels back then, which I don't do most of the times, because game was fun to me. Controlls (directions) were a bit strange but I could get used to so no problem there.

I played it only about a minute this time because it crashed (I think something was about to land on my head) - And yes, I have Firefox 1.5 with PC (win2k).

8. Savant

Original Member

Very cool! I love the graphical style...

9. Olivier

Indie Author

What a nice and slick Shockwave game!:)
    The overall feel reminds me of the excellent and very hard to beat (my brother and I were about 10) game Snake Rattle'n Roll on the NES. Maybe because of the falling anvils.
    BTW I just discovered today by searching GameFaqs that Snake Rattle'n Roll was developed by Rare. No wonder.

-I'm a big fan of multiplayer games. You should consider adding a 2P simultaneous mode. Might not be so problematic since you already handle mouse+keyboard+gamepad controls.
    -The rabbit orientation disturbed me. It might be better to add the left/right from behind directions.
    -There's a sort rotation when changing direction. That disturbed me too. I'd feel more comfortable without that.
    -'P' key didn't do anything here. I'm using the latest Firefox with Win98SE. 'Esc' key should pause the game too.
    -I'd like to be able to navigate the main menu with the keyboard and gamepad, not only the mouse.
    -Rabbit's shadow is missing when I'm over trunks.
    -No crash here. Have palyed tutorial up to level 3.
    -At last a pet peeve of mine. All your 2D sprites have an outline, your 3D models don't. Only a few games follow the rule of "outline everywhere". From an artistic point of view there is an incoherence. And in my opinion games are art. :)

Did I say that the game plays well and looks polished?

#9 Olivier, Jan 31, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  10. Game Producer

Nothing more to say but: Looking good! Very nice graphics. Gotta test the actual game play in the future...

11. AnthemAudio

Original Member

Awesome looking and fun. Easy to pick up!

Though when I paused and Alt-Tabbed to a different window then clicked on the new window it unpaused the game unbeknownst to me. Then it wouldn't give me my mouse back outside of the game window so I had to CTRL-ALT-DEL out of it.

WinXP running MSIE6

Gonna show this game to everyone!

Tony

12. Indiepath.T

Original Member Indie Author

I'm sure I played this about 12 months ago or so... How long has this been in development?

13. Bmc

Bmc New Member

this seems like something that would do nice on xbox live

14. Bmc

Bmc New Member

i believe it was a finalist in a GameTrust/Shockwave casual game design contest

15. Drake

Indie Author

Well, it seems like my web game would rock except for these damn browsers. :)
    You're right, I'm going to add an "End Training" button that will take you to the main game. Planned it, forgot about it.
    I've never seen a crash at that point. Were you on the "Burrowing" screen? Or the Rabidlab logo screen? I check for Enhancer, which polls for joysticks on the logo screen... can't think of anything else unusual.
    Thanks, I'm on it.
    My bad, this one. I think you tabbed out, typed a P, game thought it was up front, took over your cursor... unacceptable, will be fixed. Regrets.
    Part-time, hiatus-ridden development since 2003.
    Yes, it was also a non-finalist in IGF 2004 and RealArcade Showdown 2003. It was just a baby back then. :)

16. Drake

Indie Author

And Oliver, too:

-I'm a big fan of multiplayer games. You should consider adding a 2P simultaneous mode. Might not be so problematic since you already handle mouse+keyboard+gamepad controls.
    In the sequel? Sure thing.

-The rabbit orientation disturbed me. It might be better to add the left/right from behind directions.
    It's surprising how rarely this is mentioned. I think most people accept it as part of the game's funky style, and that's fine with me.

-There's a sort rotation when changing direction. That disturbed me too. I'd feel more comfortable without that.
    I dunno what you mean.

-'P' key didn't do anything here. I'm using the latest Firefox with Win98SE. 'Esc' key should pause the game too.
    Really? 'P' consistenly did nothing? I'll have to check that out.

-I'd like to be able to navigate the main menu with the keyboard and gamepad, not only the mouse.
    You are right, and this is a planned addition.

-Rabbit's shadow is missing when I'm over trunks.
    Picky, picky.

-No crash here. Have played tutorial up to level 3.
    Good, good.

-At last a pet peeve of mine. All your 2D sprites have an outline, your 3D models don't. Only a few games follow the rule of "outline everywhere". From an artistic point of view there is an incoherence. And in my opinion games are art. :)
    In my opinion, just about everything is art, even games that don't outline their models. :)

-Did I say that the game plays well and looks polished?
    No. I mean, yes.

17. tolik

Original Member

Great game! Love the style, sounds, character, etc.
    Played XP/IE7b2 and IE crashed after I closed the game tab.
    Very cool game, you could check how controls work and feel in Dino & Aliens as it has interesting stuff.

18. Olivier

Indie Author

-About the rotation, sorry it's hard for me to explain. When I change the direction I'm walking in (from left to right or vice versa) I see the rabbit, say turning. You display some frames (a transition animation?) showing that the rabbit changes direction. It's annoying to me but you probably tested without it.

-I realized I cant' pause the game with 'P' in gamepad mode only. But in any case it's written below the game window that I can pause the game with 'P'. Players should be able to pause the game with 'P' whatever control they use.

19. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

I know it's already been said to death, but I really dig the look. Though it's clearly low poly, the texture work is fantastic. Nicely done.

20. Drake

Indie Author

Yeah, I guess it's another personal preference thing. I don't like when things jump from one rotation or position to another without any animation.
    Ah, good point. I will add this, at least in the web version.