Android Will Die in Two Years

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by HarryBalls, Jan 10, 2012.

1. HarryBalls

HarryBalls New Member

2. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I thought this was another Mayan prophecy.

3. Nutter2000

Original Member Indie Author

Don't be silly, the Mayan prophecy was obviously about HP's WebOS ;-)

4. Applewood

God I wish this was right. It won't die because all the users care about is price and app availability, and they stack up well to iOS when combined.

But the platform is a bloody joke. In fact I don't really consider Android a "platform" at all. It's better described as a grouping of similar machines that all nearly run the same software but not quite. I think the galaxy incredible actually fully works if you want an Android phone.

5. Nutter2000

So are there is there any way to narrow it down to just a few main handsets or do you just have to target as many as possible?

I noticed that Yachty isn't available on Galaxy Y for example

6. Applewood

You get to pick amongst all of them. We require Android 2.2 and over and a certain minimum screen size. Which puts us on 650+ phones. (There are a couple that are buggy beyond redemption that we've manually excluded)

A lot of those have bad drivers, bad market program, corrupt file caches and a variety of other woes that you don't get on any other "closed" platform. We lose about 20% of our total sales to "internal market error" at the server end also.

They have to fix this shit.

7. Nutter2000

Ouch! Coupled with the piracy problem on Android, it almost sounds like it isn't worth the hassle!

8. Applewood

That's the sad part of it, it actually is. Week by week I think we're making more on Android than iOS. (Certainly so at the moment, but then the iOS version has been out ages and it's honeymoon is definitely over)

Because this situation is so very shit, there's far less apps on the store vying for attention so if you make a good one you'll get right up the charts.

9. Nutter2000

Ah... so surely if they actually fixed the problems then more developers would do apps for Android and you'd be looking at increased competition potentially lowering your revenue ;)

Is it your ad supported app or pay 2 play app (or both) that does better on Android?
    I wonder if it's a market share thing

10. Applewood

Heh, that's the thought that keeps me going every morning,wading through all this shite. :)

GLWG is earning very nicely as a paid app - we've done over £100K in a couple of months. Yachty sales are also taking off since we launched that a few days ago, but the adverts version is still hanging on as the more lucrative. Certainly no complaints on the income front. Piracy is high but so is the volume of honest people.

11. Nutter2000

Nice, congrats!

12. Jack Norton

Indie Author

What about the fire kindle? (haven't read the article yet) Though if that's the only Android left well... indeed nothing comparable to iOS. Amazon is big, but not as Apple.

13. Leroy Binks

Leroy Binks New Member

So if that is the case, what is going to be the multiphone OS that isn't by Apple? The "PC" if you will.

14. Applewood

Android!

(Think betamax vs vhs) :)

15. Escapee

Original Member

16. electronicStar

Original Member

I am abandoning my android device because I don't find it very useful compared to my computer, I'm fed up of recharging the battery every other day and the games are mostly a waste of time.
    That said I must agree that I don't see the android gone any time soon, it will probably become the winner of the mobile OS war and I don't see why it would be otherwise.
    The article was probably written by an IOS evangelist or sthg

17. Roman Budzowski

Indie Author

Well, those that used Android and iOS devices know the difference and the choice is obvious if you care about your experience... but there are not that many people that played with both platforms. So people will buy iOS devices because they are iOS devices and the rest of the world will buy Android devices because... everyone buys them ;-)

18. TylerBetable

TylerBetable New Member

Android's going to survive for the same reason that PCs will survive: Apple makes a premium product. This leaves a fair amount of room for the lower and middle-tier markets, especially outside the US where Apple doesn't enjoy the same mindshare.

As for games, Android games definitely have some challenges but they are not insurmountable, and there's going to be opportunity in that market for a long time to come.

19. Greg Squire

Original Member

I think the doom and gloom over Android is a bit exaggerated. I agree that there are some challenges that have presented themselves, just as fragmentation and piracy, but I feel these can be overcome. Open standards and open platforms usually have a way of winning out over time, even though it does create a bit of a "wild west" climate at times. The Windows platform suffers from tons of fragmentation, but it hasn't stopped it from becoming the most used OS. Some argue that Mac OSX is a better OS, but technical superiority doesn't always translate to "best in the marketplace" (think again Beta vs VHS). Mac OS has gained more marketshare over the last decade, but it still remains behind Windows. The reason in my mind is because it still is a proprietary OS and is more expensive. Likewise this is why I think Android will be sticking around. The fragmentation issues can be addressed and most likely will. DirectX helped with some of that fragmentation on the PC, as it abstracted some issues in talking directly to the hardware. Something similar may happen on Android. Maybe its already happening, but I don't know as I'm not an android developer (at least not yet, as I'd like to get into this).

Side Question: Is there any difference in creating a standard Android Market app and Kindle Fire (Amazon Market) app? I would think that code wise they are the same, it's just you are submitting the final app to different gatekeepers (Google & Amazon). Is that right or am I missing something?

20. Applewood

Clearly someone who's not done any JNI yet...